3 different drive shaft U-joints for the 3.8 cars

The parts book lists 3 different U-joints for the prop shaft on the 3.8 cars all with different part numbers. I seem to remember my very early car used the XK joints and the later 3.8’s used the common joints into the 4.2 cars. I’ll soon be working on an E just after the first u-joint cars and I wonder if i’ll run into trouble finding that middle u-joint. My regular parts place only lists 2 joint numbers and not a third.

Phil.

If I remember correctly, the factory started with greaseable, then went to sealed joints for a period, and then went back to greaseable. That might account for changing P/Ns. I put modern heavy duty sealed Spicer joints in my car. Given the low number of miles these vehicles see these days, I think they will last a very long time. Anyway, if you do a forum search for “u-joints” I believe you will find many threads on the subject.

1 Like

I agree with Eric. There is nothing special about the u joints. I seem to remember that they are the same as GM joints from the same era but a bit fuzzy on that. Just take your old ones down to your local bearing house and get them to match them up. Put in the best quality possible as you don’t want to have to do it again.

1 Like

In the vast majority of Jags, they’ll be a lifetime install.