'38 SS boot lid hinges

“The only threaded part on the bolt is up near the bolt’s head. The remainder of the bolt is of smaller diameter. The bolt screws into a nut welded inside the boot lid wall, so the unthreaded section passes through the boot lid wall and is long enough to engage in a hole in the body shell. Hope that helps. John C.”

Ok John, I found the remains of welds where the nuts once were, and I see unthreaded bosses inside the body shell, so I think this is what you are describing.

Is that about right?

I don’t know why there are extra holes on each side, and non-matching.
Two on the left.

Four on the right.

Rob. I don’t know what all the extra holes are for but your diagrams are spot-on. You’ve even got the bolt tapered as original. Sorry I can’t confirm your dimensions. I sold that car 23 years ago, but I remember those bolts - after 16 years in the open air they were frozen into the body, so removal was a problem. John C

Thanks, John. Any opinions whether these threaded pins should be coarse or fine thread?

I had a thought that those extraneous holes might have been either for a thick plate which the nut was welded to, or some sort of locator fixture for welding the nut?

Hi Rob, The original thread was probably BSF but it probably doesn’t matter much because the only person who will ever know is the next one to remove the boot lid. Just wack plenty of grease on those bolts so that bloke can get them out again in 40 years time. Regarding the reason for the extraneous holes: it’s difficult to know without closer examination, but I wonder if, once upon a time, the original bolts froze in the boot lid and (in their removal) someone drove the bolts through to the inside, taking their captivity with them. And then inserted those plates to reinforce the damaged zones. Just a guess. At least you now know what end result you are seeking. Cheers, John