#39008 on Bring A Trailer

Its worth looking at the photos just for fun. The writeup says many years in Argentina, one family for 38 years, many modifications to keep it running. Some of the fun of BAT are the comments, this one will bring out some good ones.
I thought my project, #39064, was one of the last unrestored SS100’s, single family for 60 years, many correct parts to hunt for etc. But this one needs even more parts and is even “more” unrestored!

Dave

Greetings,

The price seems a little light unless the provenance is actually unknown?

If one ever shows up for sale, with real alligator skin interior… I worked on it…:wink:

Current bid is totally irrelevant for an auction that doesn’t end for another 12 days.

Here’s a link to the listing if anyone is interested:

1 Like

I’ll guess a final bid of $125,782.56.

More or less.

:grin:

Does anyone recognise what make the gearbox came from?

Peter

one of the comments says “Peugeot 403 or 404”

Thanks Tony, 404 looks correct. Definitely worth knowing for anyone else with an SS100 with a duff gearbox although it looks as if there might be a problem with the speedo drive.

Peter

Greetings All,

Why?

Why a Peugeot gearbox, and not a later Jaguar unit are there space issues?

Not sure why the part could not be made?

I must be missing something?

The comments did allude, although somewhat conflicting

I dont know whether a later Moss GB out of a MKV11 for Instance may not fit ?

but they may have just fitted what was available at hand at the time,
probably not many Moss GB floating around Argentina at the time

1 Like

This car is listed in the Classic Jaguar Association SS100 Registers going back to 1985 when it was registered as being in the USA, in which it was noted that it had been altered by the Argentinian dealer with hydraulic brakes and the external exhaust headers. We have to presume that the Peugeot gearbox installation was done in Argentina at a time when such things didn’t matter to anyone.

That would be my guess: you use whatcha can find!

I just noticed this the other day

(title is "mount any trans to any engine)

a young fella mating a Jag block to a Chev trans, via Ford clutch,
he does some shortcut practices, but shows what you can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s9ka42uubU&feature=emb_logo

presumably the Peugot box is synchro, and the old one got smashed up inside

what box did they originally have, and how hard are they to obtain ?

a nice 5 speed and fabricate the cover panel, be a beautiful car, take a lot to get that one back to totally original

1 Like

Double helical gears, sychro on 2nd 3rd and top, made by Moss for Standard.
gearbox
May or may not have the Standard name on the side.
That looks like a Mark V bell housing, thicker bolt bosses than they had in '38.
A JH or SH box would fit, but it looks like the rear mounting is missing, or perhaps is different from my '38 saloon.

A comment on the BAT site indicated that the i.d. plate was not original. Could someone enlighten me on what it is that makes this obvious to the viewer?. Are they looking at the non-winged version of the SS logo? I thought that the use of different versions of the logo on the plates did not always follow a change made after a set date.

I don’t know that I would trust all the comments on BAT, especially when people don’t sign their real names.
It may be he thinks it ought to have the wings with the SS logo. That was on later ID plates. This one is a Nov '37 built car.
It looks ok to me, and does not appear to be a recent reproduction.
Ed Nantes was the expert on this subject.

I went through this with my '38 saloon on which the ID plate was missing. Ed walked me through the variations of this period and got me the right one without wings.

1 Like

I agree with Rob. The plate looks correct to me and the stampings also look genuine.

Peter

Thanks for the replies, but now I seem to find myself on the other side after looking at the image larger and seeing that the wheelbase is “correct”, and I thought they had the same plates as the saloons meaning the wheelbase should be larger?

There were various ID plates with differences in wheelbase, track, approved lubricants, engine size, RAC rating, without/with wings.

So just how many different ones actually were on 100s. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe it was comments from Ed Nantes years back that led me to believe original plates on 100s all displayed saloon wheelbases. Am I wrong on that? A couple individuals discussing the plate on BAT seem to be at least more knowledgeable than the average know-it-alls that oft showcase their expertise on the site. There are clearly more variations of the plate than I’m aware of.
Also, am I correct that the wingless plates covered both the 9’ something wheelbase and the 10’ 0" wheelbase. I’d really appreciate any further education on the matter. I’m guessing part of the confusion may come from those that think it’s best when the knowledge is not readily available to help those that would promote fakes in order to protect the rest, but I’m of the opinion that in the long run it hurts the hobby and only a ridiculously dedicated faker would get by the real pros.