#39008 on Bring A Trailer

I haven’t made a study of SS100 plates. As far as I can see the cars up to and including MY 1939 have the hexagon. The 1940 cars gained wings and MkIVs get the Jaguar lozenge but perhaps the transitions don’t cleanly fit with MY changes.

1936/37 1.5 litre SS Jaguars have 9’ wheelbase.
1938 onwards 1.5 litre saloons 9’ 4 1/2"
1936/37 2.5 litre SS Jaguars 9’ 11"
1938 onwards 2.5/3.5 saloons 10"
SS Jaguar 100s 8’ 7 1/2"

Peter

Thanks Peter. So I’m assuming your understanding is that the 100s correctly indicated their wheelbase (or 1/2" dif than the literature). Any idea where the notion that they displayed saloon wheelbases came from? I clearly not the only one that has had that impression, and I’ve seen many then show saloon plates (which of course would be presumably be easier to come by both real and repro).

I’m sorry Grant, I don’t know the detail concerning 9’ SS100s. I certainly wouldn’t want to argue with Ed Nantes on this issue.

Peter

From Ed…

“The plate is a later repro Apart from anything it’s etched too deeply and the 100 s did use saloon plates.”

Here’s the data plate from #39064 which was with one family in the Netherlands for 60 years, was being driven until 2010 and was repainted from black to green in the 1960’s. Original data plates get really faded, but mine does say 10’ 0” wheelbase. And no wings on the logo. The new plate in the photo is from a run done by the CJA 10+ years ago where they “corrected” the wheelbase. Ed has helped me a lot too.
I also attached a photo showing the hand painted SS100 inside the frame rail - I don’t know if this is original but it could be. I’m leaving it exposed. Dave

Thanks to all for helping with my schooling: great to have access to such knowledgeable and experienced guys with the marque. DaveXK I really appreciate your taking time to post the photos with your info! I to would guess the notation in your rail was done during the cars original build for tracking as as it seems less likely to be motivated for other reasons… Perhaps others marked rails are out there to someday support the notion.
A friend of mine discovered a landscape painted inside one of the brake drums on his Stanley Steamer. It hung above his workbench for years before he learned it was it one of just a hand-full seen, and were known to be done by one of the workers at the Stanley plant who did them to fill his downtime .All to only have them assembled with a car and unlikely to ever see the light of day.

1 Like

Well, it went for $315,000.
BAT bidding has a program that resets the clock at 1:49 if any bid comes in with less time than that to go, so it took quite awhile to end, 2 or 3 going back and forth bumping it up a few k with seconds to go.
Better than an in-person auction, I watched in complete silence, no annoying auctioneers and their blabber.

1 Like

Wooo: my estimate was a bit off!!!