400hp boosted XJ6

Just thought I’d share this video I came across today. Its an 86 XJ6 with a 73mm single turbo. Makes 400+hp.

I’ve always been a big XJ fan and its nice to see someone building up a standard Jag engine.

1 Like

If thats running standard internals on the engine it’s incredible.

Jeez, hold the freakin’ camera still… I got motion sickness just trying to watch it.

Very impressed with motor. Just incredible that output on original internals…says a lot about them.
Wish they left the interior original.

…and donuts?!

I hate cars doing donuts.
Prefer to see it on the track.

Thanks for link.

It’s on YouTube on a track and even though I don’t like all about it a lot is very very good. They blew one engine or so, but it is not modified as far as I know, and the first engine I remember was not modified in the least.

Also interesting: The redline?

If it is not heavily modified, David - I would like to see those numbers on an impartial dyno…:slight_smile:

And you are right, the quest for power is rpms - and the xk cannot stand all that much more than the present redline. And adding turbo stresses the engine - and the ‘traditional’ gain is around 30%…

I admire it as a belabour of love - but I can otherwise easily curb my enthusiasm…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I have this screenshot if that tells you anything, I thought the xk‘s limiting factor was octane. I‘d say it is possible, after all it is ‚just‘ 100hp per litre. I believe the numbers, I just don’t know how they cool it.

The xk was designed for 98 octane, David - to counter knocking at high ign advance. Adding turbo will increase cylinder pressures - which is a knocking factor. Rpms relates to structural integrity and valve flutter - but hp/l on a standard xk body set-up is stretching imagination…

Good on them in any case…:slight_smile:

Frank

The screenshot says ‘313,3’ (?), which is believable for an xk - and impressive enough…:slight_smile:

Frank

Is that your car, David? How much do you want for this engine? :slight_smile:

Um, erm, well, if it were… um, that‘d be nice.
What would one want for that? Say it’s been driven for a while. Overhaul possibly near. Niche market, lots of changes, would not get TÜV in any case. 20000? I have to confess - no idea.

Hihi.

Well, it certainly isn’t my natural habitat, but from what I hear 20-25k is about what the local pros charge for a fully rebuilt, blue-printed and modified XK engine pumping out some serious 260 - 280 DIN hp at the axle. I’m not talking super-charging, turbos, twin spark or four valve heads, just mild optimizing of air flow, improvement of the moving parts, coolant and oil flow etc. yielding serious improvement of performance without sacrifices in longevity or driveability.

It sure would be nice, but then I’m happy my original engine is alive and kicking - actually looking forward to taking it to Freiburg and back this week crossing the Black Forest twice even with just some 172 DIN hp. It’s not how fast you go, but how you go fast …

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Frank;;

Good eye. The right number is rpm??? But, over 300 at just over 4200 is impressive!!!

But, I don’t think I would want that engine. Much stress !!! A fresh one, tempting.

Donuts??? Hoons over the hill do sideshows, on the public roads. Public and cops angry…

:Lat Saturday night, three 'events" on at once.
Cops there, with hand cuffs, ticket books and tow trucks. Late news reported 85 on the hook and counting!!!

Kids, go to the track…

Carl

I‘d think the like-new condition XK would be more expensive than the added turbo, even though it’s not a hack job. Maybe. For the same money I’d go for the rebuilt, easily.
Did your Freiburg trip work out well? Did you, asking for a friend, have to report any oil consumption?

David

That’s the XK I guess. Public, illegal racing, if it annoys the neighbors or endagers others? No, thank you.

Indeed, Carl - it has been done before with 6 carbs and some very sophisticated engine work. It was the 400 hp I was questioning…:slight_smile:

Frank

the screenshot is apparently not the final output of a complete run (e.g. 300hp@ 4750rpm?)… he mentions in the video the max measured power (420hp) is at 15psi boost, which makes it equivalent to a 8.4l engine : it’s more the reliability than the brute force power that I would question.

Thanks, David, Freiburg was great - I opted for the Spitfire, though, with some wonderful late summer weather in the forecast. Another appointment in Elzach took me through the central part of the Black Forest, up the Elz valley and then over Schonach and Triberg back to the main road. As there had been the Schonach slalom trophy earlier that day approx. 25 race cars came my way - down and on trailers, unfortunately, It looked like half the works production of NSU TTSs had been there. It looks pretty much like that in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03-mRiSxiJw.

As for the oil consumption in the Jag: I change oil every other year, check the oil level to be in the lower third of the marked area, and unsually don’t have to fill up till the next oil change. Knock on wood it stays like that …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

yea, I saw that on youtube. it’s not the first time though. it was also on Petrolicious

I want the front bumper for my Series II. haha!!!

yep, that’s an XK. their first go around was all from Junk yard parts with a bit of welding and enginerding. the first go put out somewhere around 300 HP with a turbo from a cummings diesel bolted onto a stock XK 4.2 6cyl. using all of the stock bits except the transmission it was from a Nissan 280Z. Not sure why they mod’ed the rear suspension though. I wasn’t necessary.

If it annoys the neighbors, then sign me up! :wink:
Mark

Thank you for saying enginerding. Hah!
I don’t know how well the stock IRS fares in drifting, with the rear wheel steering and flexing involved. Also, they gained easier adjustability.
I have the feeling that the IRS needs a lot of getting used to; both in the E-Type and the XJ the sensation os always a bit strange at first, but not that terribly bad either. I drifted once, that was about when my transmission trouble started. Unrelated though, and fixed.
Isn’t the front bumper just the front bumper without the rubber bumper? I didn’t check but that’s what I figured. Wouldn’t work out nicely in Germany. You should get your hands on euro SII bumpers, they look quite good.

David