420 Conversion to Power Rack Kit

I have a 1967 420 with the original power steering box. I resealed the piston chamber and input seals. It dripped very little and I was fine with it. Lately it drips whenever its parked and leaves more of a puddle than I’m fine with. I would like to purchase the rack and pinion kit from Moss Motors. Before pulling the trigger I would like some input overall and particularly on shortening the steering coupling shaft. Should I be worried or is it no big deal?

Here are some pics of what the shop that did mine some 20+ years ago did on my 3.8S. Some of these parts are, I believe, from a Mark II. My shop supplied the mounting bracket, and did the new hoses and the column but I supplied the rack as I specifically wanted a more reliable ZF rack which I believe was for a late XJS. Keep in mind from my experience you will reduce the turning circle and there will be some tire scrubbing on turns which accelerates tire wear. Other than that there are no leaks and it steers very nicely with the rack set up. Your car has the Marles Variamatic (sp?) box which is highly touted, if it can be made not to leak.

1 Like

Why not just change it to a manual steering box??? Kinda solves a lot of problems very easily.

Finding a manual lhd box can be difficult. The late Varimatic box that I assume you have is the best solution imo. Geometry has historically not been right for the rack conversions. There is no power rack short enough to work in the mk2, 420, 3.8s, the conversion kits that I looked at years ago being abut 4" too long. Not sure about the current one you describe, but I doubt it’s different. On my mk2, I mocked up a spare front end and figured the ideal position and rack length, had a Unisteer manual rack built and I installed it with custom brackets. I’m not recommending it, but it works with no bumpsteer or scrubbing, some decreased radius. I wish I had the Varimatic power box. So, if you do decide to go ahead, good luck with it, and I’m interested in your old Varimatic.

1 Like

Love it except it likes to leak. I’m living with it now, but thinking of getting the rack kit to install later this year. I’ve battled leaks for two years and just fed up with it.

Hi, I converted my 420 5 years ago with a power rack from then XKs. Definitely reduces the turning diameter. Just doesn`t feel right, I suspect the geometry. I would attempt finding a shop to restore you Varimatic box either here or even ship to the UK.

Regards,
Allen

I have a 1967 Mark 2 3.4 fitted new from the factory with a Marles Varamatic steering system. When it began to leak two years ago an honest shop recommended I put a product called ‘Trans X’ in to the reservoir. In two years I’ve only had to add less than 12 ounces.

1 Like