420G aircon pump questions

Hi Tony,

I have the capillary tube type.
I couldn’t find one with a long enough tube to control it from the drivers seat, but my AC guy suggest siting one next to the evaporator adding that I wouldn’t need to adjust the temperature, just the volume of the fans.
If I needed to adjust it I just turned the knob in the boot. He was right; I just have it on the coldest temperature and set the fans to slow, middle or fast.

See it on the bottom left of the picture.

Paul

I had (may still have) the cap tube version from a 420G. It reaches from the fascia to the boot as required–the tube is very long indeed. My plan is to add a rear evaporator to my XJ6. I already decided that I will fit the control so it is accessed from the rear seat area (perhaps next to the evaporator) just as you suggest. That would be easier than trying to plumb the long cap tube.

thx gents, I will continue to investigate electronic control, but may fit a capilliary to get started, depends on what my A/C guy advises…the 72" unit would probably reach to rear of centre console, but a fixed cold setting would probably be ok too…do you live in a hot area Paul?

btw, blower fan motors are amenable to PWM control (pulse width modulation)…a 50A controller is ~$20…they allow fully variable fan speed, and the circuit is controlled by a variable resistor control that does not carry high current

I’m in the UK; it can be quite hot in the summer; 30-35 if you are lucky (86-95F) and quite humid, but 20 - 25C is more the norm.

Paul