420G. Nylon rollers on the "UJ" in the joint between

The upper and lower steering columns. Background is that I need to replace the rubber gaiter and thought I´d renew the nylon rollers as well.
Question: after I remove the screw that secures the threaded end of the upper column, can I pull the column by pulling the wheel the 1/2" that will free the capsuled “UJ”?
I don´t want to take everything apart and start worrying about horn slip rings etc, nylon bushes etc.
Peder

On another, closely related topic: when I try to move the lower column up and down, I can see the upper column move slightly, rather than being rock steady.
Normal…?
I will check on my other G the next time I see it.

Hello Peder,

My experience comes from working on my 3.8S - Perhaps others can clarify if the designs are similar…

If the upper column is moving up and down you might have worn bushings in the outer tube of the steering column - there is one bushing in each end of the tube that supports the column shaft. If you move the steering wheel up and down do you feel excessive movement in the column? The bushings are available from some of the Jag parts suppliers (i.e. SNG) and are usually sold as “steering column bush set”. It is my understanding that this is a fairly common problem. As to the lower section and the rollers, you should be able to loosen the two clamps and remove the joint assembly from the car as a unit - Make sure to mark each end carefully to ensure it gets replaced correctly and to your point, you should be able to pull the column up enough to remove the assembly if you are only addressing the nylon rollers. But, if dealing with the column bushings as well, you will need to remove the entire upper column as well (It is really not as bad as it sounds - review the service manual and there should be additional info on the forums). Any other advice out there? All the best!

Something I forgot…

At the bottom of the outer column tube is a clamp which secures a nylon clip-like mechanism that locks the upper column in place. Look at the very lowest part of the column tube near the firewall (inside of the car near the pedals) and you should see the (Jubilee) clamp that needs to be loosened - the nylon clip can be gently pried out which then allows the upper column to be pulled up.

hi Peder. I also have to do this job, the previous gent is correct.

The whole inner column DOES needs removal, study the FSM closely!

You will want the roller kit, the 2 round bushes and the nylon lock piece all renewed at once.

Clive did an excellent pictorial writeup on his 420G forum

While I am in there, I will see if my horn press, which is bypassed with a separate button,
can be rejuvenated after 17yrs

personally not fond of working on steering columns, but like any job, has to be done, just grit yr teeth

Thanks to both of you.
Forgot to say that the steering wheel is rock steady in that the slight play in the upper column observed whe rocking the lower column, is simply not there.
AND in the carś file I see that the 2 nylon bushes surrounding the upper/inner column inside the outer column, were replaced 15yrs/8,000 miles ago.
I had forgotten that (have had the car for 29 yrs).