4tr voltage regulator

My regulator is dead says the alternator shop and I’ve ordered a new one from SNG. But a question. Are these things repairable? I’m asking more from the standpoint of general interest as opposed to any intent to tear one apart and repair it.

Wellsir - I figure if people made it, people can fix it.

I have one I opened up but it has been awhile so I cannot recall what all is in there in the way of common components.

The 4TR is adjustable - not sure the replacement units are.

I would at least save the ‘dead’ one as it has the correct-looking case (if that is important to you).

I just drilled out the rivets and opened the case. A tiny circuit board with what looks like 1 small resistor and some other really tiny bits and a small square thing about 1mm thick with three terminals coming out of it that are soldered to the circuit board. If it can be fixed it’s beyond my ability.

[quote=“John_Walker1, post:3, topic:352200”]
…some other really tiny bits and a small square thing…[/quote]

There you go getting all technical.

Yeah, probably not practical to repair - I think there is a transistor in there which may be the most vulnerable part. Unless a soldered connection has cracked and become dodgy there may be no simple thing to fix.

I would not toss it - but if you decide to, you could toss it my way (I have one that works but the PO smashed into the case with a wrench or hammer).

The big green Factory manual that includes the S2 cars has a theory of operation and a schematic on page PY.s.12. I am sure it could be repaired if you have some electronics expertise, but at around 50 bucks for a new one I am not sure its worth it unless you just want to have a project.

Like Geo says tho, save the original. I put a modern 4TR in an orig case, but be forwarned, they may look the same, but the footprint is a little different. you may have to trim some of the aluminum on the new one to get it in the old case, and then go easy with the rivet gun, the old plastic is brittle…

good article on understanding the 4TR and alternator on the cool cat web site
never new how they worked until I read the article, it made repairing the e type charging system simple, once I understood how it functioned… Roger