5.3l xjs Battay

Hey guys
I think i need to replace my battary so i wonder if i could buy regular 60a battary or there is a special thing i should look for

You need to be careful about the venting. Standard car batteries are vented, and what comes out is acidic. You don’t want it throughout your trunk. You need to select a battery that you can connect tubing to and route the vent out the bottom of the car.

3 Likes

How critical is the battary cca ?
Most battary’s i found have a 540cca and the car battary have 740cca

It’s not critical. It really doesn’t take a lot of CCA to start this car – unless maybe you live in the tundra.

To achieve high CCA ratings, battery manufacturers make the plates inside their batteries look like waffle irons to maximize surface area. Unfortunately, this also makes them fragile, and sometimes after some erosion and vibration one of the plates will break off and short out the cell. Your battery is trash. So some argue avoiding the batteries with the really exceptional CCA ratings and just go for one with a moderate rating in hopes that its plates are a bit more solid and robust.

Or you could go for a gel cell which has plates rolled up around a layer of material so they’re basically impervious to vibration. But those are expensive.

So what you’re saying is that no matter what 60A battery i will buy they all do the job…

I wouldn’t risk a 60AH battery - you need a 70AH+ & 700 CCA battery - this is a relatively old 12 cylinder engine with a decent compression ratio, a massive crankshaft, a torque converter & a low efficiency starter motor that weighs a tonne.

HTH.

Andy.

I am using a
Varta Blue Dynamic Battery in my 1991 xjr-s. Its a gel battery so no venting. Biggest problem is finding something to fit in the small space. Even this is higher than te standard battery, but the cover fits ok. It starts fine.just need to check the model

Yeah:

1… An old tech “test” is weight. The heaviest lead acid battery will have the greatest CCA.

1. Thusly the heaviest one that will fit in the space.

2. Limited by the vent issue in this application.

3. Huge CCA not really needed in a moderate clime, if the engine is reasonably healthy. Not needing of prolonged cranking to fire.

Carl

I got a type 34 battery from O’Reilly’s for $150, has 800 CCA. Works great, fits fine.

I got my battery at Advance Auto. Store brand platinum version that is for my 95 XJS v12. Went with the “premium” since it is expected to last longer and was not much more than the “standard”. W/o going and looking, IIRC the CCA is over 700. Vents straight down into designed vent exit from bottom of the boot. Car cranks over and starts easily… here in the south it doesn’t see many cold days and lives in the mancave when not exposed.