#5 fuse keep blowing up (solved)

Hey guys.
The #5 fuse ( turn signal light) keep blowing.
Any idea where to start looking ??

Does a new fuse blow instantly on installation? Or only when the signals are used?

Disconnect other items on that fuse and see what happens. For example, unplug the brake light switch. Does the fuse still blow?

What year is your car? Do you have the wiring diagram?

Cheers
DD

The fuse blow once i turn the ignition on,this is a 1988 xjs coupe, i’ll try disconnect the brake switch

I had this exact problem on my 88. Once i disconnected the kickdown switch to transmission (one that triggers when you floor it), the problem went away. Probably a short, haven’t bothered fixing it yet

Where this switch is locate ?

Depends on your engine version - starting with basic info about your car would benefit…

He said 88.

The switch is right next to throttle cable that connects to throttle pedestal. Two wires. Disconnect, cover so they dont touch each other or anything else. That switch kicks down transmission one gear when flooring it.

Its a 1988 5.3 HE coupe.
I tried disconnact this switch, but the fuse still blow…

one down (gearbox Override), a few others to check.

So i solve this issue…
A few days ago when i removed the throttle tower i smash one of the kickdown wire on the tower bolt :frowning:

2 Likes

Good job tracking it down. I did similar once when changing valve cover gaskets on an old Chrysler V8; pinched the alternator output wire under the valve cover lip (it was stamped steel)- after the engine heated up it burned the fusible link.