5 speed for SWB E-Type

Think my 4 speed is on its way out, too much metal debris on magnet. Do not want to rebuild it again, Time for a 5 speed but which one? JT-5 NLA and Broadsport requires mod to cross member (rather not). Have not read much on the DrivenMan unit or XKs 5 speed. Believe the Welch unit is the same as Broadspeed. Should have gotten the JT-5 years ago. Anyone have some first hand experience with alternative 5 speeds? Prefer not having to make any changes that can not be easily reversed.

Glenn
70 E

no experience with alternative 5 speeds, but added a Jt5 2 years ago and it has transformed the car to a road cruiser. I absolutely love it. Make the change-----you will love it also.

Unfortunately, the JT-5 is NLA…:persevere:

Sent an email to “The Driven Man” for a Quote a few days ago.
Have not gotten a response yet. Hope they are not also having
the same problem with parts as the J-T5. XKs has a T5 but do not
know the source? At $7k a little pricey.

Glenn

I have the t5 and a 2 88 rear, 90 mph is 2,400rpm,do the math its such a pleasure, no oil on your down pipes.
They are bone dry as well.
Good luck,please make sure you add the balanced and lightened flywheel.
Its night and day!
Good luck!
GTJOEY1314

What ever happened to Classic Jaguar’s 5 speed conversions?

I have both a Getrag and Jaguar five speed transmission. Contact me if you have interest in either of them. I can let one go. The other is slated for a future project. They both have bell housings.

Stephen

Just received quote from the Driven Man for 5 speed.
Includes bellhousing
2.95, 1.94, 1.34, 1:1 .73 OD
Uses original propshaft (SWB)
Delivered price $5600.

I paid $6000. for the car when new
Value of driving with an OD gear at speed priceless!

Glenn

Hi Glenn
If you go with the driven man 5 speed could you keep us posted on the progress and end results.
I think many are interested in a 5 speed.
thanks

1 Like

Twelve years ago I came across a Getrag 265 transmission from a E28 BMW, you can find them on ebay for $1200.00 these days. It is an overdrive tranney about one inch longer than the Jaguar tranny. The input shaft has the same splines as the Jag so no problem with the clutch, I bought an aluminium fly wheel and installed it, I had to make an adapter plate to mate it to the Jag bell housing and a shifter mechanism to look original. The drive shaft had to be shortened by an inch also, to do the switch it required the use of a machine shop but the results are very satisfying and looks original. Total cost was less than a thousand dollars, and you should not be mechanically challenged! Good luck with your project.

Glenn
I installed a Tremec T5 last year in my 150, with a lightened flywheel, I’m in love with both. Tremec was from Driven Man, and after getting 5 quotes Driven Man was the cheapest, I also got the prop shaft. Car drives like a dream and brought the car to life.

Thanks guys for the replies. The BMW idea intrigues me from a cost standpoint.
I don’t want this to become a long term project and my skills are limited. The idea of getting something that will just drop in with no mods is my goal. Looks like the driven man is the best alternative so far.
For those considering the Broadsport unit the mods required are shown on the Welsh install instructions.

Glenn