‘54 XK120 Gear Oil

Mike S;
The rumors of my demise were (are) somewhat premature…
I pop-in now and again… rarely say anything, except once in a while, like offering
the location (vendor) of proper Castrol WITH ZDDP for those of us so bent…
I’ve been trying to do some serious work on my DHC, but little things like a full
left knee replacement, and it’s inherent physical therapy, back on Feb. 4th and dealin’ with the damn IRS paperwork for the past three months has kept me from the level of progress I intended!! AND, the news this past week was, the “spacer” between the upper and lower Titanium knee-joint is TOO THIN… Sawbones says it a simple task to refit the proper thickness… It’s another damn knee surgery with three-four months of recovery AND Physical Therapy… Bull-S*it!!
My solution is to take my .357 Mag and blow the Doc’s left knee off and see how HE
likes it!!
Oh well, Chit happens… back into my burrow with Sasquach AND Mr. Livingstone!! (We could use a fourth for Bridge…)
Charles. Ch #677556.

3 Likes

not sure if sasquatch playes cards ( could it be a great horror comedy?) but i like bridge and mr. livingstone is probably a whiz.please do not shoot the doc as medical treatment in jail may not be perfect right now. i am not sure which is most annoying but the tax guys - you know what they like! the health problems are more important, we need your knowledge and experience. do not end up like me changing flags and personal descriptions in a perpetual fantasy and dreaming of a 100/4 with no windshild doig the ton on a summer afternoon. ( i was 12 and it wasmy introduction to this world) so i am not quite ready for boneyard.

ps is there virtual bridge where i can drink and smoke stogies safely? regards from mental in the northwest

Because that’s totally the same as a normal knee replacement.

:roll_eyes:

XK-List Members;
I need to apologize for my statement… I DO NOT advocate violence, much less gun violence, NOR would I ever, intentionally cause harm to any fellow human being. My comment was rash, to say the least, and totally inappropriate for this forum, much less from me!! My intent was to be “flip”… apparently comedy is not my strong suite… Additionally, the “IRS” comment was NOT directed towards any IRS Agents/Employees, BUT at the Paperwork/Forms, themselves… This year, for whatever reason, every time I fill out one form, I “find” two more that are related and need to be filed, as well… I won’t EVEN go into the dozens and dozens of pages of “instructions” required for EACH form!! It’s a “Hair-Puller”, to say the least, and I have LONG since run-out of any to spare!!
Again, apologies to all on and off this forum, for my remarks…
Charles Ch#677556

2 Likes

Accurate. Model A, T Ford and other similar old car owners know that if there’s a filter, detergents are used to get the crap to the filter. When there’s no filter, let the crap sink to the bottom and gunk up as sludge so it doesn’t move.

Feeling your pain Charles. I had my left shoulder rotator cuff fixed last Thursday. …really puts a crimp in the plans while waiting and now I’m on the DL. It’s REALLY hard to stay out of the shop. PT starts in a few weeks. I had the right done almost 3 years ago.

Sucks getting old, huh?

1 Like

Apology accepted, sir! Times are tough, and I understand making rash statements.

Thanks for having the integrity to post your above.

Something tells me yer out there, doing stuff right-handed…:wink:

1 Like

Actually, I was out in the furniture shop sorting scraps for the burn drum. My wife called me and told me to find something on TV to watch… It’s only been 4 days.

'sawright… I’d be dead without her.

2 Likes

Thanks Gents, I had no idea my lowly query about gearbox oil would invoke such passion!
You are a lively and spirited bunch of enthusiasts. Thank you!

1 Like

welcome to the party…this was a simple one…switch to the zddp thread !!

Oil, or air filtration: BAR THE DOOR, Katy!

:crazy_face:

Hello again, There was no cover over the dipstick access under the carpeting on the tunnel. It was just taped over with some weird beutal rubber foil covered tape. I ordered A cover from Moss and it’s on its way. How was the set up originally on the 120? Was the cover under the carpeting and you access it by pulling the carpet back? Or was there a hole cut in the carpet with the trim cover piece over the carpeting. Would definitely be cleaner looking with the cover under the carpet, but a little more work for checking the oil level in the gearbox. Any photos out there on this? Thank you! Mark

Mark,
it sits on top of the carpet which has to have a suitable aperture cut out of it. The plate is fastened down with two Dzus 1/4 turn screw fasteners. These are available, and if you’re lucky, the original spring clips (into which the fasteners push) will still be welded in place on your gearbox cover. The fastener kit from people like Coventry Auto Components includes the spring clips which can be spot welded or pop riveted in place if the originals are damaged. Here’s a picture of mine before I got around to covering the plate with the correct tan vinyl.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. Luckily the spring clips are intact. One would need to take good care to not foul the carpet when checking/adding oil the the gearbox.

line around the opening with plastic…with a hole cut for the dip/filler,…and precaution for drip not to run off the plastic. I put an expendable towel under that…sure don’t want that mess on the carpet…a small narrow funnel…cut end to just right…helps…

2 Likes