6 cylinder ZF transmission compatibility

I have a guy with a 6 cylinder automatic imported from England he is parting out: he has told me that the ZF 4 speed auto mates up to the v12 though I have found no where that confirms his claim.

He does seem knowledgeable and has a yard full of decently maintained Jags that would lead me to believe the old guy may know something I don’t.

Does anyone have any experience or info on this for me?

Only with an after market bell housing.

Sorry, for an auto you will need a custom adaptor plate.

Thanks, that’s what it had though. I appreciate the info

This car has a ZF 4 speed auto beh8nd a V12

I am not sure. Re-read the text several times and I am not sure I understand this sentence:

“The 4 speed ZF gearbox conversion has been replaced with the original 3 speed (only the Jaguar XJRS had the GM480LE 4 speed box) again for smoothness required by the owner.”

Comments:

• The XJRS originally had TH400 (3-speed), not 4L80e
  • The factory 6.0L V12 (only in years 1994 and 1995, my car) had the electronically controlled 4L80e.
  • The ZF box is generally considered to be weaker than the 4L80e. This is why Jaguar went with the latter in the XJR-6 (supercharged 6 sedan)
  • From the pictures – great build – I does not seem the transmission they put is electronically controlled, thus, hard to believe that it is the ZF box we are discussing

Great link.

1 Like

It HAD a ZF conversion, KWE reverted it back. I wonder why they did that

Yes Steve it looks like you are right, they removed the ZF box. I wonder why they didn’t go with a 4L60 or similar.

The GM4L80E is a cast improvement on the GM TH400 but a 5 speed manual is far far better.

Rgds.

A.