6 RA relay numbers

Hi does anyone remember how many 6RA relays there are installed in a 65 OTS E type
?
Morten

I only recall two, horn and cooling fan.

No cooling fan relay on a 65, so only one 6RA for the horns. Heated rear window had a relay too, but it was a specially weird one, and not sure if the option was there in 1965.

1 Like

Oh, when was it added? I added one to my 64 as it seemed a common sense thing to preserve the switch.

Thank you.

It sounds just about right.
I could only find one 6RA in my pile of parts for the project.

Erica,

This was one of those odd Jaguar moves. The first 3.8s had a radiator fan relay. Then Jaguar removed it part way through the 3.8s. They added it back later in the 4.2s, though not until the S2s, or maybe the S1.5s.

1 Like

you are right.
my S2 from 69 has the fan relay.
this makes good sense, as the S2 has 2 fans.

Question for David: when was the alternator relay added? I thought that was done shortly into the S1 4.2 series.

I believe that the alternator relay wasn’t added until the S1.5 cars. This is based on the two wiring diagrams in the 4.2 S1 Workshop Manual. The earlier diagram shows no relay, with the alternator field being fed from a second pole on the ignition switch, for cars up to 1E.15979 (US/Canada LHD OTS). The later diagram shows the relay, but is for the cars after 1E.15980 (US/Canada LHD OTS). The alternator relay doesn’t appear in the S1 4.2 Parts List that I have. I can’t find any Jaguar Bulletins that reference its introduction, which is consistet with it being simultaneous with a major change such as the introduction of the 1968 Fed regulated cars. One data point - my early 66 FHC has no alternator relay.

And the other question, why did they leave the horn relay? These choices don’t make much sense.

The horn relay could be due to voltage drop, or contact wear.

Horns are only about 2ohms or less and there are two of them, so the amount of current carried is substantial. With no relay, it is going to earthed directly through spring clip and slip ring on the steering column. It’d also mean a substantial live wire left hanging, just waiting to be shorted out.

kind regards
Marek