6 Speed Manual for E’s

Came across a contact in Europe who is selling a six speed for e types, complete kit. I suspect it the BMW box

In the case of a torque monster, like a Harley or an XK-engined car, 6 cogs are pretty unnecessary.

Fun, for those of us who like shifting a lot, I guess.

5 should be plenty!

If it’s legit by all means share it. The availability of g-box upgrades has been diminishing.

WTF would anyone want a 6 speed manual gearbox in an etype?

1 Like

Why not?

Seriously, I can see no downside between a 6 speed vs. 5 speed. Assuming both can handle the torque and both fit equally well, i.e., without modification to the car.

No particular downside, just no meaningful upside, beyond bragging rights.

2 Likes

My guess is this is the g’box I posted the other day from eBay, and another poster identified it as a ZF box (IIRC) used by BMW.

As far as the question of why you would want a 6-speed with a “torque monster” engine, my answer would be that’s the perfect car to have a 6-speed in. My experience with 6-speeds in modern American cars is it’s designed like a 5-speed, with an extra super-duper tall OD on top of the 5th gear. The one in my friend’s Camaro is something like a 0.50 ratio in 6th gear.

So, with a very torquey engine, you could lay it down at some very reasonable RPM’s if you ever get the opportunity to cruise at 80-85 mph. I’m not saying this is necessary, but I don’t see it as a downside.

My guess is also that when someone looks at the landscape of modern manuals that are candidates for an E-type transplant, most/all are 6-speeds. The T5 variants seem to have been beaten to death, so if someone was looking for a new platform, they were probably pushed to 6-speeds almost by default.

4 Likes

A perfect example, the C6 Corvette.

As a proponent of modern transmissions, again, I ask: How many times do you go down the highway, wishing for a lower rpm? I damn sure didn’t in Tweety: admittedly, he was a 3.07 car, and 75 mph = 2900 rpm.

That said, I maintain that, with the level of tech the XK engine has, a 6-speed will buy you little, except mental dyno strokes (and the mental dyno is one that apparently needs much stroking!), and bench racing bragging rights.

1 Like

If the engine has the ability to efficiently utilize an ultra low (numerically) 6th gear I’d love to have it. We do a lot of long distance road trips.

1 Like

I have a 5-speed in my ‘65 Mustang with 3.55 gears in the rear end, and a “mild” V8, and there are times when I’ve thought a 6-speed would be “fun”.

But again, I seriously doubt anyone set out to design a 6-speed for an E-type, but options for small, strong, overdrive manual transmissions platform is a pretty limited field to choose from.

1 Like

True: the E Type market, for that kind of quite specialized engineering, is pretty small.

Pat,
Years ago, Lou Fidanza offered a Richmond 6 speed through his company GTJ.
Reports were that it was a very difficult fit.
This was long before Paul C. offered his 5 speed.
I would like to know more about what you’ve found…

The BMW box looks very compact, here is one on the back of a merc sl bell housing.

I think that this is about right. I recall a road test in my youth. A 3 speed manual vs a 4 speed manual in Holden Toranas behind longer stroke Holden sixes. Same 0 to 60mph outcome. I had the 4 speed. One disappointed 18 year old. Expected made no difference overtaking as well, just stay in top. Paul.

Boy, that DOES look small! Any idea on a cost?

hmm, with the bolt lugs hanging out the sides instead of into the face I wonder if an XK BH could be made to work. Then there’s always the issue of shifter position, but it looks short enough that a custom shifter rod could be made if necessary.

This is the “BMW” gearbox that is believed to match the 6-speed kit that is listed on eBay for $10k. It’s a Getrag box.

It would be truly incredible if there are more than one BMW-based, 6-speed kit being developed/marketed for the E-type

Here’s the actual 6-speed gearbox in the eBay ad

1 Like

They assert that fits in a SWB E Type?

Call me dubious.