6162 RW coming to auction

Auction price guide is £395,000 to £495,000 ($500,000 to $636,000) estimate. The list of things wrong with it gets longer:

Wrong steering wheel
Replica spinners with wrong logo
Wrong front lenses and screws
Wrong top hose
SU damper caps should be cad plated
Wrong HT conduit
Wrong spark plug caps
Wrong jack
Wrong fuel pump
Wrong screwdriver in toolkit
Battery not period look
Wrong battery clamp
Quarterlight should have the catch tab pointing downwards
Carb. float bowl tags are missing.
Toolkit bleeder tube tin should be early Dunlop not Girling
Engine lifting brackets came later
White Sovy reservoir caps - should be black
Reproduction “dot” pattern dash
Wrong locking nut for the gear lever (should be tapered chrome)
Scalloped rear bulkhead from post June '62 cars (re-bodied?)
Later short luggage boot flap (for scalloped bulkhead)
Luggage stop arms from later cars
Later thick dash top
Bonnet mouth too wide (new bonnet?)
Later center instrument panel legend
Fitted with 3.07 diff and matching speedo (should have 3.31)
Restored by J D Classics

That was an interesting read. And while JD Classics seemed culpable, I must say Mr. Tuke seemed awfully naive in how he approached the business. JD preyed on that nativity, but Take could have certainly protected himself much better by establishing proper contracts and documentation throughout the process. Hard to believe that someone who was successful enough in their business to be able to sell it and become rich like Tuke could be so lax in these multi-million GBP deals. Doesn’t excuse JD at all, though.

1 Like

Bonnet mouth too wide ? Doesn’t appear as wide as an SII. Were there more than two styles / sizes of openings ?

No, the repro bonnet mouths are different because the formers wore out. An early car such as this should have high definition on the power bulge crease and a symmetrical bonnet mouth. Look for the research Harvey Searle did on J-L to get his bonnet correct.

David, have you watched the video on Facebook that Chuck Hadley posted describing the differences between very early bonnets and later ones. It is quite interesting and has actual examples of the old vs newer panels and the method of construction.
(Monocoque Metalworks).

No Geoff but thanks for the heads up, I will search it out.

This early in production are we talking about the concrete dies?

Yes, it has the look of a later bonnet. The list continues to grow:

Wrong steering wheel
Replica spinners with wrong logo
Wrong front lenses and screws
Wrong top hose
SU damper caps should be cad plated
Wrong HT conduit
Wrong spark plug caps
Wrong jack
Wrong fuel pump
Wrong screwdriver in toolkit
Battery not period look
Wrong battery clamp
Quarterlight should have the catch tab pointing downwards
Carb. float bowl tags are missing.
Toolkit bleeder tube tin should be early Dunlop not Girling
Engine lifting brackets came later
White Sovy reservoir caps - should be black
Reproduction “dot” pattern dash
Wrong locking nut for the gear lever (should be tapered chrome)
Scalloped rear bulkhead from post June '62 cars (re-bodied?)
Later short luggage boot flap (for scalloped bulkhead)
Luggage stop arms from later cars
Later thick dash top
Bonnet mouth too wide (new bonnet?)
Later center instrument panel legend
Fitted with 3.07 diff and matching speedo (should have 3.31)
Wrong clamp on vacuum to air balance pipe
Wrong JAGUAR badge - not flat top.
Top front shocker bolts in wrong way round.
White on block casting number on such an early car?
Wrong wiring loom - clear covers on Lucar connectors.
Wrong mirror - should be pointed stem.
Looks like repro tail lights. The chrome strip is flat rather than curved.
Screws holding on ash tray panel wrong.
Screws holding radio surround on wrong.
Wrong trim around handbrake lever.
Wrong washers under frame bolts
Wrong washers under very front head bolts - should have a chamfer
No copper washers on oil filter housing bolts.
Wrong fuel pipe in boot
Wrong Otter switch
Tyre pressure gauge had a pocket spring clip attached to it
Tube spanner appears to have a “10” stamped in it. ???
Adjustable spanner seems to be the earlier version, not the raised bar Garrington common to E Types.
Open end spanner appears to be a Snail brand & probably should be a Garrington or TW brand. Snail brand open end spanners were found in 1963 & later tool kits.
Finish on tube spanners should be blued, not black oxide.
Block is stamped with a sideways “1” (correct), while the cylinder head is a “-“ (wrong).
Brake light switch - should be screw terminals
Hose clips - not Cheney?
P Clip missing on tacho lead
Front over-riders different heights
Rear stay - through nuts should be on the rubber side and not inside car
Oval washers on heater plenum
Heater plenum should be body colour
Restored by J D Classics

All this is from photos. It would be great to examine the car in person.

1 Like

I wonder if it has the correct early petrol filler box and flip lid, rectangular instead of the larger and tapered later style. That would be a major indication that the body was not original.

The other differences of an early coupe rear body shape are much more difficult to spot.

This is from 9600HP, same as on my old Coupe.
jt20040

I think that when you’re talking half a million, it all wants to be right.

1 Like

So, considering the many noted faults listed above by Heuer, I’m curious as to what 6162 RW might score at a judged premier UK concours d’elegance, Pebble Beach, Amelia Island or perhaps a local JCNA concours d’elegance event? Car 6162 RW does look good in the photos but from my experience in JCNA events originality is key and non-authentic parts or incorrectly installed parts are generally regarded as a big deduction. It would be interesting to hear from some of the judges or experienced members on this list if they have any views or comments about this and/or points deductions in judged events in general.

It’s been a while since I judged a car, but I doubt a JCNA judging team would pick up every item David has spotted. If for no other reason than the judges have a set amount of time to examine any one car, 15 minutes, IIRC, and they also have multiple entries to judge. Most judging teams are hustling to get their work done.

I know nothing about the judging, but the article does seem to state that the car was constantly updated and changed by them as time went on, so i got the impression it is not an example of a production car.
Tom

And in the end, it’s STILL a perfectly acceptable car.

Im reminded why I’ll never, EVER again participate in a concours d’arrogance…:frowning:

1 Like

They are fun if you approach them with the intent of having fun. If you approach them as a life and death struggle be prepared for a bad time.

You make the mistake of thinking I didn’t approach it with that attitude.

I did, and overly anal blowhards made it an insufferable experience.

My error was using you as a generic pronoun. I should have written "fun if one approaches them. . . " :man_shrugging:t2:

I used to enter our club Concour, it was always a race between my ratty old ‘S’ and the then presidents ratty old MK1 as to who was going to come last. My theory was that if I didn’t enter some other shmuck was going to come in last so I was doing them a favour :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Now, THATS a competition in which I’d do well!!!

:grimacing:

Oh I’ve gotten a few trophies with our #1S20183, which is not perfect, but as it is pretty much the way it was made in 1972 and thanks to that very “correct” I got a couple of easy nr.1’s in 2013, 2014 and 2015. Also over here people actually appreciate patinated original leather and chrome over new and shiny cheap repro parts. I am glad the PO did not throw away the original parts when he had back-dated the car a bit (the spinners, the steering wheel, the carpets etc.)

Cheers!

1 Like

In 1976, before anything got real crazy, I judged at a national Triumph meet. We were told to judge in this manner:
1/3 originality, 1/3 function, and 1/3 craftsmanship. Seemed very sensible to me.

Got a “Second” with our car and a second in the pylon stuff. Of course you didn’t judge your class.