63 coupe selling price

Hi Frank here, I’m selling my E-type and value your opinions. Prices are all over the place and I’m trying to address the correct bottom line to accept. You all are and have been involved with e types as long as I have 21 years. I know the market is constantly changing up and down. My hemmings advert is 2220499, if you can look at the advertisement along with the video and give me your honest opinion, that would be very helpful. It’s difficult enough to having to sell but I don’t want to give it away. I trust you opinions.
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Regards
Frank 63 E-type coupe

Hi Frank nice car,price seems fair to me,pictures of the underside of the car would help.
Regards Gerry 62 Ots.

Thanks Gerald. I’ll post some

The link - for ease of looking and commenting, not meant to be an ad:

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/jaguar/xke/2220499.html

And the XKEData listing:

http://xked.com/cars/detail/?car=888289

Appears to be a nice example - I agree with Gerry, you simply cannot have too many photos. When I sold a car recently I just set up a free website with lots more photos for the benefit of the serious shoppers (bidders in my case).

21 years is a long time together - I know it is tough to let go.

I notice you have the cross pattern aluminum. Were you able to restore the original or did you find a supplier? The console cross pattern aluminum in my 63 car isn’t in very good shape but I don’t want to go to the dot pattern when I restore the car. Car looks great by the way.

1 Like

Frank-

I agree that it’s a very nice car and the price is not out of the ballpark, assuming you’d be willing to accept an offer at 90% of your ask. I agree with Gerry that underside could be helpful, depending on what they show. Not sure if you’ve looked at the “Bring a Trailer” auction website yet, but you can get a feel from that about what E-types have been selling for in the last few years by doing a search for auction results.

I’ll send you a PM with some additional thoughts. I bought my S1 FHC about 4 months ago.

-Scott
('63 FHC)

Thank you all, very helpful as I expected. I’ve added underside photos, I’ve been following BAT and I’m interested in opinions of bottom line sale price. I’ll look forward to your PM Scott

The cross pattern is original didn’t want to send out for restoration as I feared it would be lost or destroyed

1 Like

I think your price is fair too - maybe a tad high for the current market demand but I hope you get what you want.

1 Like

I’m thinking most people will offer minimum 10-20 percentage lower than asking price so that’s what i’m looking at. Am I reasonable and on target.

Tough to get over 100K for a driver no matter how nice.
Matching numbers is helpful but how does a matching trans have full synro trans?
If I were you I’d put it on Bring a Trailer promoting it’s ease to make a 100 pt car. set the reserve for $99,999.99 and see what happens. it’s only $90, a small investment. worst case you get the e-mail of the highest bidder to try and make a deal. Just sold my Lotus on BAT and it went well.

1 Like

I think you’re very reasonable if your goal is a sale of $90-100K. With E-types, I think people are mostly willing to pay what they will pay, and setting a price a little high in order to leave negotiating room is not necessary, but I may be mistaken.

Edit: The photos you added with the underside and the tool kit will only help you. Looks like a pretty honest car.

Hi there Frank. It’s a super car and presents well. Have you gone to the BAT sales history tool to see recent sales trends? I strongly suspect you would meet or exceed your expectations if you auction it there and you’re prepared to offer a lot more photographic evidence. The best performing cars are exceedingly well documented, top, bottom, inside and out. Every flaw is highlighted, and the sellers engage actively with the commenters. If you look at sales over the past year or so, even seriously mediocre cars are fetching over 80k. Nice ones just depend on how nice, and how well documented.

1 Like

I had that same question: '63s, AFAIK, never had synchro trannys.

1 Like

Nope and these are the sorts of statements that will crush you on BAT.

Well they certainly will if you say OBO. It’s pretty much an invitation to lowball.

You are correct and I mistakenly took it for granted that when I stated synchro trans it would be understood that it had a later transmission rather than the moss box. I should have been more descriptive.

Thank you all and I will correct the description as we speak

1 Like

I’m impressed that you are able to edit a Hemmings ad and add pictures so quickly.

But Frank, who am I going to chase around The Glen if you sell it?:slightly_smiling_face: