64 Mark-X just appeared in my local junk yard

There is a U-pull-it yard near me and a 64 Mark-X just showed up. It appears to be a long suffering project car as the unused gaskets in the trunk were at least 20 years old… I was able to get the 3 carbs for an E-type I am restoring. What would be the best way to determine if it is a 3.8 or 4.2?
Thanks

I think all 3.8s used the 3 separate intake manifold castings whereas the 4.2 used the solid one with three intakes. However, I suspect if it is a 3.8 the manifolds wouldn’t work with an e-type because the e-type ones slope down so they fit under the bonnet. The saloon manifolds don’t slope down. The carbs themselves would work fine though. Depending what you paid you might have scored a deal.

They lack manual chokes; otherwise the same. They can be converted, but parts are dear.

Both 3.8 and 4.2 manifolds slope down in the E but slope (slightly) up in the Mark X, making them unsuitable for a swap.

1 Like

'64-65 had 3.8, should have the smooth silver cam covers, thick fan belts, 3 x inlet manifold casting

(4.2 transplants are not uncommon…'66 4.2 has smooth covers too)

the carbs are not suitable for an e-type, as no manual choke and manifold angle

they can be modified, but it is difficult & not ideal

if you obtain all the throttle parts, air plenum etc…Ebay sale price ~$AU 600

fits XJ, (and some other models, with mods)

certain individual SU parts are also ridiculously expensive on Ebay…ie fuel bowl lids