‘64 OTS on Bring a Trailer

Appears to me to be a very reasonably priced, maybe even cheap OTS for sale. Wrong seats, wrong seatbelts no chrome bonnet trim as well. And when you look close, a bit shabby underneath. But compared to some of the stuff I’ve been seeing for a similar price “rust buckets” not bad.

A lot can happen in the closing minutes. Slow (chilly) day here so I will probably watch.

It’s a decent starting point but that’s the kindest thing I could say. It really needs to be torn down and restored.

2 Likes

Cool OTS. This one looks like a good one too.

It’s snowing here in Prescott, AZ - in late May! I’d be surprised if this car meets it’s reserve. The seller seems oblivious to it’s obvious needs, so the reserve is probably high.

I agree to a large extent, but when Hagerty is saying a driver without a rebuild #3 is worth $135,000 this is way low. I’ve been watching absolute rust buckets at $50-60.

Right but I wouldn’t consider this a number 3 car. It’s too shabby for that. It’s a pig with lipstick IMO. It’s totally salvageable and probably not a super hard restoration. But don’t pay for the lipstick because it’s going to have to be wiped off.

1 Like

Just gone for $68,500…

Exactly! I wouldn’t even rate it as high as a #4 on the Hagerty scale. The sills, floors, and wheel arches of this car are almost certainly going to have to be replaced like so many before it. $72K (including buyer’s fee to BaT) seems like all the money and more to me…

2 Likes

It’s roughly equivalent to the condition mine was in years ago, a “driver” that turned into a restoration project within a month. Inflation adjusted mine cost 45k. This is close enough that I’ll call it a fair price. But if it had gone higher someone would be very disappointed.

Oy, the fee. I keep forgetting about that.

Just a few thoughts. I bought mine from Dan Mooney in ‘96. $13,000. Picked it up In Youngstown. Somebody’s restoration project they never finished. Rust was patched inside and out with brazed sheetmetal, Gas tank and doors were in the cockpit. It did come with all of the chrome done and wrapped in ten year old newspaper, it also came with a new interior from Bartlett, now OSJI which together I figured was worth about $5000 in those dollars. I dollied it home to Virginia, went to drain the rearend and the bolt heads holding the locker together fell out. Dry as a bone. :scream:. Cut out the floors, tranny tunnel and rockers and the A pillar sheetmetal, reskinned the doors and we were now at 100% solid metal. Then came a complete rebuilt of the mechanical. I literally rebuilt everything except for the steering rack. Including taking a month of Sundays to prove I could get the shimming right on the diff. :grin:So, I look at this thing in a little different light. If the body is solid, and the thing runs, it’s a long step ahead of what I bought and a big step ahead of the other stuff you see out there that are just totally hulks for very similar prices. Someone can begin the overhaul a little at a time when money and time permit, while driving it in between. But, those are just my opinions. I’m sure many would disagree based on their experiences. Oh! It did have a hardtop! That’s worth something!

Good gawd! It’s snowing here too! A whiteout!

Will I ever be able to drive it this year?

It needed everything, IMO. I agree with Erica and David. Giving it a Hagerty #4 is more than charitable.

1 Like

Yeah I opened up the additional 156 photos and see a fair amount of rot. But it still runs :sunglasses:

Regards,

Larry Trom

804-677-5090

Angel Fire, NM

I also looked through all the photos. It’s had a “c” level paint job. “C” level paint often covers “d” level body work. In my experience, the worst of this car is still unseen. I don’t think it was well bought at all. 50k tops.

2 Likes

C for crappy, calamitous, careless, cartoonish, cataclysmic, cheap, checked, cloudy, contaminated, corroded, cracked, crazed, crumbling, caustic, or costly?

5 Likes

Yes…also crusty, chintzy, corrosion covering, callous, and clumsy. Really most concerning is the obvious failing of underlying body work.

3 Likes

It’s a signature job. The body guy left thumb prints all over. It was his Rembrandt moment.

I can’t get past that side mirror.

Ha!, I didn’t notice the mirror,! Yea, that is rough. What is bugging me, and I’m a series 2 guy, so maybe it’s just me, but dos’nt the radiator opening look off? Kind of flattened?