679526 XK120FHC (battery box reno)

next time you are rolling in a car, (and I hope there is not time), Paul, let me know how it goes deciding to fold over this way or that as your torso is flung by the multi vectored impacts and forces of even 30mph on a hundred pounds of flesh or so, and the inertia lock will have applied so good luck on moving, …anyway, I don’t drive on a race track, there is traffic and two directional roads, 4 directional intersections. SO…the battery boxes do look great Maddy. Do inspect the long cable to solenoid, as said it will likely need a new end at the battery connection to match the Odyssey when the time comes. Nick (I have self inflicted my own dread of thread drift to multiple topics…eeeeeeek !!)

Here is the parcel box.

Rob thank you for the photos. I now can conceptualize what it is suppose to look like.

Rob,

If you could I would appreciate some dimensional information regarding the parcel box.

Letter A
What type of fastener is used to secure the panel?

Letter B
What is the clearance measurement between the 2 dots when parcel box is closed?

Letter C
What is the measurements of the parcel box between the two dots?

Letter D
What is the measurement between the first dot of D in relation to the second dot following the first?

The intent is to recreate the entire parcel box. With the dimensions too provide I can begin this work.

Thank you Rob!

Maddy

Are you a sheet metal fabricator, or know somebody who can do it?

I can measure up mine, but I’ll have to take it out to do so.

First let’s be sure of what you have.
The sheet metal box seems to be the same for all FHCs.
However, the shelf top and lid changed.
I have the early type with square corners.
XK120 headliner 008

I believe you probably have the later type with sloping ramps.
parcel shelf corner
Can you post a pic or two of what you have?

Yes I can post a picture.

I am not a metal fabricator nor do I know anyone who is. I do work with wood and can replicate what should be there. I have managed to ascertain the measurements so don’t need that info anymore.
Maddy

I posted this image previously. Where the parcel lid is propped up to show battery tray this is what I have at present. The seat backs were the only thing to hide the area.

So I basically have nothing but the hinged lid with a Riemenantriebe of a leather strap to lift the lid with.

Maddy

Remnant of a leather pull tab is what it should read.

I much prefer riemenantriebe, word of the day.

1 Like

On another point I was examining the parts list you posted where part number of the items pertaining to the parcel box is fitted to 679*** and in each case the number is an earlier iproduction than my XKFHC which is 679526.

Yes, new word! I get several of them with the auto correct.

1 Like

Here is another image of the parcel tray or absence there of. As you can see there is nothing but the lid.

I hope my postings and images help you Rob. As you see I have nothing but the images of your parcel tray to determine what I should have.

Maddy

Maybe this visual will help.

1 Like

Mike

This is helpful, yes, and what is the source of this information?

Maddy

you will see top rt…“Jaguar XK120 Explored”. Excellent book, as is the Schmid "“Jaguar XK120 the Anatomy of a Cult Object”, in two volumes…Vol 1 kinda overall and mechanical-body, and Vol 2: trim.
Nick

The front plywood Panel BD6125 is 3/8" Baltic Birch (7 ply) x 11-1/8" x 39-7/8". The holes for the DZUS fasteners are located 1-3/8" down from the top and 3/8" from the sides. The hinges have a 3 hole pattern and the center hole is 4-3/4" from the sides, or 30-3/8" apart.
I see you already have the hinges so you can measure them to check that.

The BD6125 Parcel Box is made of .040" low carbon steel sheet in 3 pieces.
The main piece begins as a sheet 37-1/16" x 21-1/4" and is bent into a 3 sided channel.
The sides are made of a piece a little less than 8" x 9" and trimmed and folded into a trapezoid shape.
I’ll work up some drawings.

My car is 679187 so the lid and shelf on mine are not the same as yours, but they are 3/8" (7 ply) Baltic Birch. Mine are just rectangles. I don’t know about yours.

Rob,

You went through a lot of trouble for that information! I thank you very much for that as it is valuable information to have on hand to remake the parcel box. I’ll have someone do that for me rather than do that myself of course.

I so want my FHC to look and be as original as I can make it and this information you provide in this forum certainly helps everyone to do the same for their XK’s.

Maddy

1 Like

Check your local HVAC shop: for the sheet metal, they’d probably love doing something like that. I have used a HVAC shop to do simple sheet metal fabrication.

Paul that is a good idea. However I think I will have this down the road a ways. I have too many other things to accomplish first. I also have to raise the funds to support fixing this XK.

Maddy

1 Like

This is a “Riemenatrieb” :+1:

1 Like