69 xke 2+2 automatic ac questions

I bought a 69 xke about 15 years ago as a dream/project car and have recently started to get the ac working.
I had no fan or clutch voltage and discovered the main ac relay was bad. I’ve changed the ac relay and now have medium fan speed but no low or high. Looking at wiring schematics in my jag shop manual I have voltage on the green wire at the ac resistor on medium but nothing on the blue wire.
So somewhere I have continuity between the brown and red wire.
I also have continuity between the white clutch wire and the white/blue to relay 2 to the radiator fans.
I’m suspicious of the ac switch or wiring but can’t find a schematic of the switch or know where the white clutch/white-blue radiator fan/blue fan resistor wire are connected.
Any help would be appreciated.
Along with this, it appears that there is no low pressure switch on the jag. True?

Hi Jim and welcome.

The three speed fan switch is prone to failure. But with careful disassembly and some cleaning they can be rebuilt in most cases.

Anatomy of a Series II AC Fan Switch - E-Type - Jag-lovers Forums

John

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation of the AC Control switch operation… It made more sense than anything I’ve seen (I’ve seen a LOT)
It also explained why your colored arrows on the switch don’t match the wiring colors.
Brown Arrow - Black Wire - From main AC relay through In-Line Fuse
White Arrow D - Green Wire - Fan=M
Black Arrow C - Brown and Red Wires - Fan=High
Green Arrow A - Black, Blue and W/Blue Wires - Fan=Low

If this isn’t correct, please let me know - It may save someone else some heartburn.

My current mystery is why I have no voltage on the Blue wire that should be connected on switch terminal A along with the Black Compressor wire and W/Blue Fan2 relay wire.
other switch picture with wiring isn’t real clear on the Blue wire, but it looks like it’s about the right place. (broken/corroded/??)
(If I jumper 12 volts to the Clutch wire, the Fan2 Relay operates, so I know the Bk and W/Bl are connected together)
I’ll have to drop the evaporator assembly to get that deep.
My evaporator housing is still in good shape and the fan works with all speeds if I jumper it around a bit.
My compressor came in the trunk in 2004 and the front bearing is shot, but it spins just fine and has no oil stains -yet. So I’ll get a new bearing and Teflon seals for the hoses and see if it holds pressures. I’ve got some R407 Freon that an HVAC friend gave me to do a static pressure test. I don’t want to run it without oil.
IF it holds pressure, I’ll probably go with R134 because it’s available. I’ve used up my friends R12 over the years on other projects and the R410A that I have isn’t for cars.

I’m also considering adding a relay behind the Instrument Panel in line with the fuse to help unload the AC switch contacts’ current load. It’s no surprise that they have problems.

Final question is whether the 69 has a low Freon pressure switch. My guess is that it doesn’t. I can’t find it on any wiring drawings I have. I may add one if I add a relay to the clutch wiring.

IF it all goes well…

Thanks again

1 Like

None that I am aware of.

Thanks - That’s kind of what I figured.

1 Like