69 XKE valve adjustment

My mistake. I saw 10 degrees in the Jaguar Workshop Manual and did not see anything specific for static timing, at least I could not find anything. I checked it in my Haynes manual and it says 5 degrees before TDC (static timing) and 10 degrees (1000 revs). Many thanks for pointing out my mistake.

My tag on the air filter is unreadable so thanks for posting. Now I know what it is supposed to say.

Jay

Jay,

This is another case where the correct place to look in the Jaguar Service Manual is not exactly obviousā€¦ The static timing for the early Series 2ā€™s (5 degrees BTDC) is found in Section Q: Exhaust Emission Control, page Q.Y.s.1 (in Bentley). Interestingly, on page Q.Y.s.3 it states that timing should set up with the engine running at 1000 rpm to 10 degrees BTDC. Based on my experience, this is good advice, as when I measured my timing I found a lot more than 5 degrees difference between static and 1000rpm. As a result, setting the static to 5 BTDC resulted in too much advance across the board. Setting it to 10 degrees BTDC at 1000 rpm got much closer to the right curve. More data points on the curve are listed on page Q.Y.s.5. As I recall, the later Series 2s with the vacuum retard distributor have 10 degree BTDC static timing, but these arenā€™t covered in the Service Manual. No doubt the Operator Manual has the information.

-David

I managed to get some time to set the static timing at 5 degrees and it started right up :grin: :grin: :grin: .

Sounds much quieter than I remember but have not taken it for a proper run yet as I still have a little work to do such as timing light. But seems like the valve job and tightening the chain has made it quite a bit quieter so I am happy.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to answer questions and be patient with me throughout the process. I have learnt a lot an my son was helping me so he has learnt a lot also. This really is a great resource and I would imagine many cars would be stuck in garages not running without you help and support.

Many Thanks
Jay

2 Likes

great news Jay. its a nice feeling when you get things sorted

Whew. Good stuff.

One last thing, for your own peace of mind. Check your tappet clearances again, make sure theyā€™re not under spec. Quieter is good, too quiet isnā€™t.

Cheers.

1 Like

Great news and well done!! Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

-David

yippeeā€¦a start up is good ! as to timingā€¦a number of things including todayā€™s fuels burn rates, make final optimal ignition timing an old school road test thing, as it can be between 5 and 12 deg depending. The old but valid road test of advance til a ping under load, then back off the advance until no pingā€¦and no ā€œkick backā€ when starting. That saidā€¦if it starts well, runs well, does not ping nor kick back, overheat when it should notā€¦then you are close enuf. (IMHO,if you did a nice careful recheck of your valve clearances when ā€œdoneā€ā€¦and they are ok then done. true the first time always seems to take a second checkā€¦and sometimes the 2nd check requires a 3rdā€¦but only if not to specā€¦if at specā€¦then doneā€¦)
Nick

I know that was a relief for you. Itā€™s all downhill from here. Put everything back together, double check that everything is back together and that things that should be tightened are tightened and enjoy the car.