7/32 idle adjustment tool

Hey guys, was hoping to purchase a already bent or built idle adjustment tool for my 85 Jaguar XJ6 Cat. Please let me know if you can help me out.

Thanks JR.

Get one of those ALLEN wrenches and cut off a piece and leave it
in the adjustment screw, then you can use a 1/4" small wrench to
adjust the idle.
Walter

As Walter rightfully says, JR - make one…

…there is no standard tool made for this difficult to access adjustment. The standard ‘long/short’ Allen keys are not suitable due to interference with adjacent parts - one way is to saw off the ‘long’ arm, leaving two ‘short’ bits. Another is as described - and yet another is to glue the short Allen bit to a spare 1/4" socket as I have done; a screwdriver in the 1/4" drive can then be used. Only imagination sets the limits of possible solutions…:slight_smile:

While idle adjustment is not a frequent operation; if I was a Jaguar head I would have fired the guy that designed the air distribution block - the casting could easily be done with the idle screw on the other side…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

How long would you cut the 7/32 allen wrench in length in inches?

Thanks Russ

Depends on which solution you go for, Russ…:slight_smile:

If you cut the long bit to use the angled Allen; leave about an inch. Actually, the idea is to clear the obstructions that prevents turning the tool…

If you go for a loose bit of Allan in the hole; you just have to assess what you are going to use to turn it - and cut the cloth to suit…

…the adjustment is still awkward, but it is not a frequent one…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank

Could you use something like this?
McMaster-Carr # 7391A77 tee handle $3.28; 10" overall or 9" shaft length, they have some even longer.

Anyone else chime in on Rob’s suggestion. Will this work for me?

Russ!
About 2" to 3" should work. Put a drop of silicone to hold it in.

Walter

JR

Okay, here’s what I have done on my two Series III XJ6s for the idle adjustment tool. The first picture shows the 7/32" hex tool along with a small 7/32" wrench. The second picture shows the idle adjustment tool in place along with the wrench to turn it on an intake manifold that is removed from the engine of my 1987 XJ6 VdP. The third picture shows the hex tool and wrench in place on the engine of my 1984 XJ6 VdP all set to make adjustment. The 7/32" hex tool need to be about 1 1/2 inches long. If it is longer it will not fit because it will hit the side of the AFM. It is a bit challenging to adjust the idle especially with a hot engine, and that is what you need to do this properly. BTW, to increase idle RPMs you need to turn the tool counter clockwise and to decrease the idle RPMs you need to turn the tool clockwise. This is counter intuitive. I put a small piece of wire on the 7/32" wrench and some blue tape to prevent me from dropping it down inside the engine bay and never finding it again. There is no need to ask why I learned that I needed to do this. :wink:

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

Negative, Russ…

…the inward angling of the idle screw prevents using a long, straight shaft - unless the AFM is removed…
fRANK
XJ6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Ok, with Paul’s pictures I understand the problem.

Would this hex bit socket work?

with one of these flexible extensions?

The flexible version may work, Rob…

It requires a stub of 7/32" Allen mated to a 1/4" socket - the required bend of the flex is still acute, but only a trial will tell if it will be satisfactory…:slight_smile:

Frank

Thanks Paul. I assume 7/32’s hex tool is the same as an 7/32’s Allen wrench. I will cut my wrench down and find a 7/32 allen wrench and try to make the adjustment this weekend.

Thanks again

JR

JR,

I cut off a small section of a 7/32" Allen wrench to make my “Idle Adjustment Tool”. As mentioned I just leave it in place since it is a PITA to get it in place and not worth the effort to remove it and replace it over time. A 7/32" wrench is needed to turn the “Idle Adjustment Tool” to increase or decrease engine idle RPMs. This is no picnic to do especially since it is a tight area to get my hands in, and this adjustment is to be done after the engine is up at operating temperatures.

Paul

Sure is ‘no picnic’, Paul - I sort of chicken out, adjusting the idle screw with the engine cold and stopped. Then read the result next time the engine is running. Repeating as required - my patience is more adaptable than my hands…:slight_smile:

Frank

Frank,

As they say “no guts, no glory” and “no pain, no gain”. :wink:

Paul

Thanks again Paul. I cut my allen wrench over the weekend and removed the AFM and glued it into place. Got my wrench attached and put everything back together and will be making the adjustment soon. Your pics were of great help.

Thanks always

JR

JR,

I am glad that I was able to help you out.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Gosh darn cat is running rough again and not idling well again. My allen wrench sure looks good glued into his spot but turning it counter clock wise makes no difference in the idle. About to take it back to a mechanic. Thanks though!

85 Jaugar XJ6 III

With no reaction to the idle screw adjustment, Rob - I suggest to remove the air distribution block for inspection…

What is your present idle, cold and hot? The idle screw only affects idle rpms - it has absolutely no direct effect on idle quality. Increasing idle will just smooth it out, it’s the nature of the beast - at higher revolutions, on road, the xk is smooth as silk, even with rather serious issues…:slight_smile:

Frank