70 OTS Engine parts Search - Crankshaft Hamonic Balancer

I’m looking for an alternative source for a new or reworked balancer for my engine rebuild.
Any suggestions other than Robey, SNG or Moss?
Also curious was the same balancer used on other Jag engines?

An alternative might be to have your rebuilt. Search, “harmonic balancer rebuilders” for multiple sources.

Unfortunately it was missing when i bought the car and right now either SNG or Martin Robey can supply a new one. The original part is EAC -4050 . Does anyone know if there is an alternative or aftermarket part that will work?

@Robert_Laughton may have a used one. I expect any from a long stud XK engine should suffice - as would any from a short stud engine, though the timing vernier will be in a different location.

Is this the later, thick rim version with the v-belt groove? I’m sure I have a couple. Also numerous pulleys. Free for the cost of shipping (I’m in the USA). I also have a new, “high performance” damper. I would make you a deal on. Note that it uses 3-bolt Chevrolet pulleys.

1 Like

Hi John
Is there a reason why you would not buy it from those sources?

1 Like

Neither can supply or recommend an alternative part number or source at this time.

It’s a later 70 engine . Since I never had one I can’t tell for sure what it looks like other than catalog pictures which don’t show a grove. Martin Robey advised EAC 4050 is the correct one and SNG had an C8020 but advised it was for an earlier engine and would not work on mine.

For identification purposes it might help if someone had an actual picture of the EAC 4050 animal

Long (wet) stud engine then. The timing pointer will be on the left side of the timing cover while earlier short stud engines had them on the sump. The vernier on the earlier damper is at 6 o’clock with the engine at #6 TDC and the vernier on the later damper is at 2 o’clock. The damper is keyed to the split cone, which is keyed to the crankshaft. In other words, looking at it from the front of the engine, the correct damper for your application will have the vernier at 2 o’clock with the keyway at 6 o’clock.

2 Likes

John,
Did you contact Welsh Enterprises in Ohio? When I needed a rebuilt harmonic balancer for my 1969 E-Type FHC (original 4.2L XK engine with factory A/C) in July 2021 they had one in stock. I sent them pictures of my failed harmonic balancer and they sent back pictures or what they had to confirm it was an exact match. The cars like mine with A/C used a different harmonic balancer than the cars without A/C because the compressor blocks the view of the usual location of the timing marks. So the timing marks for harmonic balancers for A/C equipped cars is relocated to where you can view them from below. The Welsh part number that worked in my car was HOM-42 but they had a variety of Jaguar E-Type harmonic balancers available at that time as it seems that Jaguar used several different harmonic balancers in the E-Types. The very knowledgeable and helpful sales rep that helped me was Herky at (800) 875-5247 extension 164.

I have no affiliation with Welsh Enterprises other than as a very satisfied customer. They have helped me out many times with parts for a variety of Jaguars that I have owned.

Paul

1 Like

Well, that’s problematic. They are not marked with a part number. Here’s 2 variants. One marked 0-13 degrees directly over the keyway, the other marked 4 to 32 degrees, about 90 degrees from the keyway.

Here are some pictures that I took in 2021 of the harmonic balancer from my 1969 E-Type FHC (4.2 L equipped with factory A/C) when I was searching for a replacement. Neither Moss or SNG Barrat had any available but Welsh Enterprises had an exact replacement in stock.

Paul

2 Likes

So the thing I’m seeing that these three all have in common is the number 18913 on the rubber ring.

No I didn’t yet but I’m on their email list. I will do that. I have bought a few parts from RW Classics in Seattle but they didn’t have one. I’ll also check with the MI Jag group. Some of the engine builders may have some leads too. There is a guy in Windsor Canada near me that’s been doing just Jags and Rolls forever too.

Yes long wet RUSTED studs… so my next problem is my engine is currently up north of London in pieces being machined and rebuilt so I can’t see the front of the actual engine either. Are the timing marks actually on the timing cover or it a separate pointer tab? This is the only part I have not located for the rebuild however if I can’t luckily it’s not internal to the rebuild so worse case I can put it on after.

John,
The attached picture shows the timing pointer and the harmonic balancer in my 1969 E-Type FHC equipped with factory A/C. The pointer is on the sump visible from beneath the car because of the A/C compressor. Cars without A/C have the timing pointer and timing marks located elsewhere on the harmonic balance and are visible from the left front of the engine.

The red mark is Top Dead Center and the white mark is spec timing for my car.

Paul

2 Likes

What Paul said. If your car has a/c then the vernier is at the bottom of the damper when at #6 TDC, otherwise 2 o’clock-ish. The pointers themselves are slightly different, though similar. The pointer on the timing cover can be moved up or down to align with zero degrees on the vernier on the damper once established.

2 Likes

Good info. Probably the only way I will be able to identify a used one. Thanks Nick!

Something in this post caught my interest. Specifically, the mention of different positions for the timing marks on different models. I have a 1971 OTS 4.2 with the timing arrow at 6 o’clock. Someone said there was also a model with the timing arrow at 2 o’clock if it did not have AC. Could it be that when the engine was rebuilt they used a different pan with the wrong timing mark?
I’m having some running issues and this might explain it.

1 Like