70 OTS Engine parts Search - Crankshaft Hamonic Balancer

John, Here are some pics of my original late series 2 OTS no A/C engine damper with the pointer at 6 O’Clock, engine 7R10633.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I don’t think that crank bolt retainer is on correctly. Shouldn’t it be reversed so it goes over the crank bolt to keep it from turning?

5 Likes

Is 7E13502 an E-Type engine number?

Yes. Late 1967 or early 1968 E-type,

1 Like

1 Like

I guess that pretty much proves it, Mike. :sunglasses:

1 Like

One, anyway! :joy:

Yup, bolt not torqued for final alignment yet.

1 Like

Lo and behold, if you root through enough dusty old parts, you occasionally find a gem. This is the the only B mark I’ve ever seen on a pressure plate. Stamped in paint, so it would never survive a rebuild cleaning.

1 Like

No power steering or AC on my 70

The flywheel is not currently in my possession so I don’t know if there is an arrow on it.

1 Like

Standard practice in the UK at the time. I can’t speak for other eras or areas.

2 Likes

Ok going back to the original question of identifying the right damper… Richard Liggett identified it correctly as C27295 however the parts supply SNG and Martin Robey, show it superseded byEAC4050 neither of which are available new from anybody. SNG shows the damper did have a vbelt grove in it. In addition David Donohue showed pictures of one on his late build car showing it grooved , no AC with timing marks from 12-O-4 and the pointer at 6 o’clock mounted to the sump front. So other than trying to find one …….

now on to the other pressing question that has come up about mounting the balanced flywheel and cover with have assembly marks …to a balanced crank that does not have any corresponding balance marking on it.

I put a witness mark when I pulled the 68.
They probably did the same thing. Long gone with time.

1 Like

First step is determine if your particular flywheel has the TDC arrow. If it does, you’re done.

If no arrow, the flywheel is doweled such that it only goes on in two positions, so 50/50. I can tell you that this 7E flywheel, C18517, has a tiny punch mark next to one of the dowels. Presumably whoever did the punch also punched the crankshaft flange. Was that a factory thing? I have no idea. But I’d look and see if yours has one.

No arrow and no punch mark? Then the flywheel orientation is not important. Either way is fine. Makes no difference. It’s a neutral balance part, as is the damper. Use whatever 4.2 damper has timing marks where your pointer is, beyond that, they are the same.

I just bought one from S** last December.
My timing mark is underneath and this damper did not have the nice zero to 15 degree marks.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but once the crankshaft and flywheel have been factory balanced, there is no need to rebalance during a rebuild, and absolutely no need to dynamically balance with the pistons and rods (weighted) as an inline 6 is naturally balanced. Right or wrong?

1 Like

Would it matter if you had the flywheel resurfaced?

1 Like

A flywheel resurface should have no impact on the balance. Resurfacing does remove material/reduce weight, but does not impact the distribution of mass relative to the rotational axis.

4 Likes

Pretty much true. It’s more important that the weight of each piston and rod is the same across the board.

You can change the weight of the flywheel with impunity. Neither lighter nor heavier affects engine balance.

1 Like