'71 XKE S2 Bonnet Wire Harness

Hi All,

Have moved back to the front wiring harness sections while waiting on some front suspension parts.

I am installing a complete new harness kit from SNG. The last x2 packages to install are: 8-pin socket that needs assembly; and the bonnet harness, which includes many various small sub harnesses.

Question, does anyone have any pictures, explanation as to how these are connected? I do have the S2 wiring diagram, which I have been using, but any pictures would greatly help. One issue is that it looks like I also need to order the 8 connector terminal block for the bonnet.

Another question is with the 8-pin socket. How does this connect to the main wire harness in the sense that it has 8 pins and the main harness end only has x6 wires? The 8-pin socket has a long insulated casing? The end of the main front harness has the casing almost to the end of the open wires? So does the socket sleeve (casing) slide over the main harness?

Just need a few pointers.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Bob

Hi All,

Another question… can I install the new harness sections and 8-pin connectors (round and straight) with the new bonnet fully assembled? Or do sections of harness, connectors need to be installed with various bonnet sections removed, then replaced?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob;
I did mine before I installed the ‘chin piece’ for the last time and before the head light scoops were installed. It made the work easier.

Regards, Joel.

Life will be much better if you don’t have the sugar scoops mounted. If you follow the color code on the diagram and then test each connection after it is made. The time to make sure it is correct is before you button it up and you can chase any issue starting from the switch or relay that controls load, hi/low beam, side lights, turn signals, horns, fans etc.
Craig

Will this help,

1 Like

Thanks Guys!

I do have, and have been using the wiring diagram for the later S2. I know that on the wiring diagram, it has numbers, 1-8 showing the various connections, no issue. I have figured out that the difference between the x8 pins and what is used/not used, is based on optional equipment, ie. Fog Lamps.

What I was hoping for was some pictures showing the wire harness routing.

Today I went to the 2nd body shop that took over the mess that the other body shop did. They still have the old bonnet, which was a total mess (we replaced current resto with a new bonnet from SNG).

I wanted to retrieve the 8-pin male connector and plate, and also the 8-pin straight connector. Thought it would be an easy job. Oh no! Took hours to remove. Ended up having to remove the front bonnet piece to get at these components.

This leads me to believe that these front bonnet sections on both left and right sides need to be out to be able to properly connect the needed wire harnesses and bracket/connectors.

So, back to anyone that has done this before and had the will/desire to document via pictures.

It also seems apparent to me that to do the bonnet wiring, the bonnet needs to be off of the car and in a position to be able to work on it without any possible issue of damage. I dont think you can install the bonnet harnesses and connectors with the bonnet on the car, can you?

Sorry for the long posting, but may help others in the future…

Thanks!
Bob

Bob;
I am going to try and post some pictures showing my bonnet wiring before restoration and then some showing wiring during restoration.4-111
Wiring on the right side of the bonnet (bonnet upside down on cradle).2-109
Wiring on the left side of the bonnet. This shows the 8 pin plug with wires going to the junction block and then wires exiting to the right side of the bonnet (fore ground and to the right of the picture).
3-110
This shows the wire going to the right side is clamped to the left valance and a ground wire.
5-118
This shows the upside down bonnet, left side to the right, chin piece in place and the wire in place. The wire crosses from left to right beneath the valances via the chin piece.
6-119
Left side closer view.
7-120
Right side closer view.
Left side, looking from front to back and towards the mid line of the bonnet, bonnet upside down. New wire crossing to the right side to be contained by the chin piece.
Right side of bonnet with wires arriving from the left side and clipped as before restoration. You are loking at the right valance and the bonnet is upside down.
I made some additional brackets for additional 5 way connectors thinking it would make attaching the headlight wiring easier. You can see it at the headlight rim to the right. I don’t think it is of any benefit but once installed it was too late to change (holes made [live and learn]).
Old bonnet plug, this is the proximal end which coming from the fuses to the bonnet. This is not the part that attaches to the bonnet with three screws.
This is my original one which i took apart to show me how it goes back together. Also a key to the numbers on the face of the plug and coding for wire colors.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Joel.

Hi Joel,

These are perfect and exactly what I was hoping for. They will help a lot!
Regards,
Bob

Joel, found your pics in search. Huge help!! Thanks!

Karl;
Glad they helped.
When I started my restoration years ago (2009) I was not aware of this site, it took me some time to find it. I found the ‘Photo Album’ and spent hours looking at many photos and reading the Q and A’s.

Regards, Joel.

Same here. 1-1/2 doing a frame off nut and bolt restoration. Didn’t find this fantastic site until a month or so ago. 95% done now. Thanks again.