'71 XKE S2 OTS - B-Pillar Door Data Plate

Hi All,

Can someone please provide a recommendation for a supplier, source for obtaining the b-pillar/door data plate? Looking for a one stop shop on this if possible (supplier of both the plate and the stamping of the #'s). Classic Jag is a good source for these type of plates, however, they dont sell the door plates.
Thanks, Bob

I’ll just mention, it is not difficult to stamp your own. Harbor Freight sells a 1/8" set that I used on another car:

commission-stamp

That 2x4 worked as jig of sorts to assure I got the stamps vertical and evenly spaced.

commission-new

Of course the font may vary slightly from what Jaguar used - 3 & 4 in particular may differ if Jaguar used a flat-top 3 and an open 4. Or maybe you will not need the 3 & 4.

Great idea Geo, but IIRC the factory didn’t take quite as much care, in fact on most they look like the ‘Stamper’ might have had one or two ‘Ales’ prior to doing it?
Cheers,
LLynn

Yes - if anything I made mine too straight.

A story I may have related before as told to me by a former Triumph employee - but worth repeating I think:

Sadly I can’t help with sizing issues except to say they weren’t always in the same font.

What I can tell you is all commission plates between about 1946 and 1975 were hand stamped by a small group of five men who were given jobs at Standard-Triumph immediately after World War Two by the then CEO. I remember all of them (though not now by name) and they were employed because of their horrendous war injuries.

Two, to my certain knowledge got badly shot up on the beaches on D-Day (6 June 1944) and were seriously disabled. One had been an RAF fighter pilot with indescribable burns and two had had a very rough time in the POW camps in Burma.

It was an incredibly boring job but they all did it assiduously until some years past retirement age and while the spacing and positioning of the letters and numbers may not have been absolutely precise, they rarely, if ever got it wrong.

2 Likes

Now that is a great story. Kudos to the CEO for hiring these men!

Thanks for sharing Geo, makes me want to buy a Triumph…
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi Geo,

Thank you very much for your help on this! I will definitely give this a go. Of course, prior to and during the stamping process, I will indulge in several libations. I want to recreate the straight, crooked, or is that called “crocked” lettering on the plate.

mug

Sounds like a fun project!
Kind Regards, Bob

The tag shown here is a decal. I bought a replacement decal for my Series 3 from XKs. I could not find a vendor the type the SN and build date so I used an old ribbon typewriter and fixed packing tape over it to keep the type from getting smeared.

Hi Geo,

I bought this set and the lettering seems way too small?

Should I buy a larger size?

Bob

I do not have that data plate pictured (early S2s still had the big data plate) - what size would it have been originally?

Bob - Are you sure that is the data plate you need? I thought the door jam plate (the one with date of manufacture) on late S2s looked like this:

https://www.welshent.com/Jaguar-E-Type-69-70-Manufacture-Date-Plate-P25418.aspx

https://xks.com/i-7084553-jaguar-e-type-series-ii-manufacturers-data-plate-36-5032.html

Hi Geo,

The one in my initial post is per the SNG website. My friends XKE is a late S2 (1971).

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bob

My late 71 has the metal plate in the jam.

Geo is right, the 1971 model had the plate riveted to the b-post. I would bet the rivet holes would be visible on your friends car? Please disregard the overspray in my picture.

Martin

Bob,

I’m pretty sure that none of the plates/stickers used on Series 2s had the Vehicle Weight information shown on your sticker. That is a Series 3 thing. According to the Mueller & Haddock book there were 3 variations of the door jamb manufactured date ID. The first had a black background and was a metal plate held in place by 4 pop rivets. Later version was stick on (no rivets) with a black background - photo of this type in the book with manuf date 9-70, Car# 2R-14615 (OTS). Final version was also stick on, with a white background - photo of this type in the book with manuf date 10-70, Car # 2R 28613 (FHC). In all cases, the only information included was the manufacturing date and Car Number. Does your door jamb have 4 holes for the rivets?

Bob,

Martin has it correct. On the B-post there should be a metal plate cherry rivited to the car. If your car has a sticker, as in your original post, that is not correct.
As an aside, later S3 cars carried the sticker Vehicle Identification Number label. That label was reverse printed on clear acetate film, white coated backing then an adhesive layer affixed. The label would separate between the layers if an attempt was made to remove it, thereby providing some degree of anti-theft protection. The label could not be peeled off and reused. The label data (DOM and VIN#) was hot foil stamped, not using a type writer.
Today the usual parts suppliers provide only a top surface printed on white vinyl label, which is not correct - but looks the part!!! If, at a later time, you need a correct S3 OTS label, contact me. I have a few blank correct one plus the hot foil machine to stamp.

Happy Trails,

Dick

“Don’t let the Old Man in”

Thanks Guys,

I email SNG. Hopefully they will send the correct plate version. The b-pillar does have 4 holes. Regards, Bob