'71 XKE S2 OTS Door Mirrors

Hi All,

I am currently working on the reassembly of my friends '71 XKE S2 OTS.

The door skins were replaced and I need to install the door side mirrors (left & right).

I need to drill the holes for the correct position of the mirrors…

Can you please provide me with the correct door coordinates for the holes?

As always, many thanks for your assistance!

Bob

If the location is the same as on the Series II FHC, this is what I have:

The 15-1/2" is too the bottom of the door. The 11-3/8" is the from the front vertical edge of the door to the point of the mirror mount.

I’d guess there is a bit of wiggle room for mounting location. I’d also advise waiting for a few more replies.

1 Like

My 69 S2 OTS measures identically to John’s. Here are a couple of photos that may be useful.

This is identical to my late sII.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

Thanks John & George,

This really is very helpful!

Another question, can you recommend the proper drills to use for both the small hole and the large hole?

Thanks again, Bob

I did not have to drill mine - but I will mention that I have been quite impressed with the function and durability of the step-drills offered by Harbor Frieght:

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=step%20drill

I have only used the (cheapest) titanium ones but they worked very well.

Of course for any drilling you want to think about what is inside the door/behind the hole.

First off a question. How are you planning on attaching the mirror to the door skin? I ask because the mounting I bought from one of the usuals was rubbish. It consisted of a plastic pad with two pockets the fit into the two screw holes. In theory running the screws into those pockets would expand them, holding the mirror firmly in place. In reality, the mirror flopped around and fell off when I shut the door. I wound up JB Welding two nuts to the underside of the door skin. This can be accomplished from the outside of the door, unless you have really fat fingers.

That’s what I’d use for the big hole. I don’t know the sizes just now but as luck would have it I was planning to remove the mirror this afternoon to see if I could increase the spring tension on the arm. I’ll measure then and get back to you.

My original was shot:

The replacement from XKS was black plastic with the same two plug things that fit the smaller holes:

https://xks.com/i-7083748-jaguar-mirror-gasket-at-base-for-c28517-c30827-etc-11611.html

That gasket worked fine for me. Possibly not all are created equal.

I measured the holes. The small ones are 1/4", the large is 3/4".

On drilling precision holes into 20 gauge steel:

The smaller the hole the easier it is to drill precisely. Once you exceed a quarter inch or so you need to exercise caution and go slow and steady. If using a stepped bit at higher speed and just a bit too much pressure you risk the sharp edge cutting too quickly and binding the bit, puckering the sheet metal in the process.

Draw the pattern on the outside of the door with a fine permanent marker then go slow as she goes. I prefer to finish making larger holes in sheet metal slowly with a carbide dremmel bit.

1 Like

If drilling over painted areas that you want to preserve, consider covering a large area with blue masking tape. And a double layer right at the hole locations.

This double layer of tape at the hole locations will give something for the bit to grab initially and help keep the bit from drifting from exactly where the hole should be. The larger area with the single layer of tape will protect the paint in case the bit does drift.

Once you have the location for the holes on one door, I’d suggest to make a paper template that outlines the lines of the door and holes. That makes it easy to transfer the holes to the other door by simply flipping the paper over.

I would have your friend sit in the vehicle and test locate the mirror position for maximum visibility and adjustment. The passenger side can be particularly tricky based on the limited range of adjustment of some mirrors.

Here’s my '70 as it came from the factory:

Richard Liggitt

1 Like

Back to the future LLoyd?

Thanks Everyone!

I appreciate all of your suggestions and great help with these mirrors!
Bob