'71 XKE S2 OTS - Doors

Hi All,

Question,

Working on assembly of the door “guts”…

Before I start installing the various components, is it recommended to install some sort of material for either a sound barrier or to make the door “shut” sound more solid?

I read somewhere that installing some sort of material makes the door shut sound more solid?

Comments? What is the material to use?
Thanks,
Bob

Many brands out there. One result ,from a quick search, showed that Dynamat leads the Top Ten rated list.
My 69 has bituminous impregnated material on both door skins. I assume nothing is currently on the doors you are working on.

Marco

The stock doors always seemed a solid sound to me:

But then I drove a TR3 for 37 years - those doors sounded like the lid on a foot-operated trash can.

I used these on my doors. Q-Pad sound deadner

I used a Dynamat clone called B-Quiet. Same black butyl rubber with an aluminum skin. Cut two 12”x12” squares and carefully apply one at a time side by side to the inside of the door skin. There’s not enough wiggle room to insert a single 24”x12” piece as you’re likely to fold the sticky side unto itself with some of the stuff stuck to the door and it will not come apart. Best to peel the membrane back a couple of inches, insert and position the 12x12 square then pull the membrane off as you apply the material.

The difference in the sound of the door closing is remarkably solid. Like a Mercedes. Recommended.

I used a Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener (there are a number of them out there) throughout the cabin and in the doors (although not shown in the pictures), similar to Nick. The before and after are definitely noticeable and well worth the effort at rebuild time.