'71 XKE S2 OTS w/AC - Radio Console

Hi All,

My friends XKE has been under restoration for 4 years and we are getting close…

I went to trial fit the radio console this afternoon and it is a “no fit”!

We purchased the console 3.5 years ago and I applied the wrinkle coat and assembled with new speakers and found an old, but working, Blaupunkt radio.

Please look at the pictures of the console.

Can someone please post a picture of the correct console (S2 OTS with A/C). Thanks!

thats the right metal surround and speakers. not the right radio for 1970 tho. your paint-work looks nice tho.
also, its seems odd, but the radio really mounts to a couple hangers on the bottom of the AC housing and pokes thru the metal facia, the nuts around the shafts just secure it.
part of your troubles may be that you are trying to shoe-horn the whole thing into place when you really should be presenting the facia up to the radio already hanging from brackets.
It takes some tweaking and bending to get it, highly suggest you cover the top and sides of the console with a lot of blue painters tape so it doesnt get scratched or torn.

here are the brackets

Where / how doesn’t it fit? And if it’s not the right radio, I’d be interested in buying it…

Hi Bob,

While a Philips was mostly installed, the Blaupunkt shortwave was a possible radio option for the period. Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks! I am glad to hear that it is the correct console. Looks like my fit issue is that I wasn’t tilting the console enough.

Question… install the radio console, then the center shift, armrest… Or visa-versa?
Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

my 1971 had a slightly different housing design in that the flap above the radio protruding towards the top was not present. I had to cut the upper part of my radio facia to make it fit under the a-c. It is a very tight fit. I‘m not saying yours is wrong, just that mine was different. My radio bolted in to the casing with nuts fitted behind the knobs.

center shift , armrest first. the problem trying it the other way is getting the shift boot over the shifter requires more interior origami. not sure of a way to do it after the radio, but I could be wrong and would be interested if there was.

you will find that bending the speaker sides out some as you install will help, bend them gently and just fold them back and hold with the nuts once you wedge everything behind the the radio,
the radio can be mounted to the facia. its really a toss up how you do it. just originally they hung it from the AC for some reason.

now that you mention it, mine does not have that either, didnt notice that, not sure Bob’s will fit with that there. and I agree, the clearance may take some filing or cutting as its really tight

On a second look, I dare say you have been sold the wrong console. Look carefully at the upper trace of the console, right beside the knobs. The one I have has a small radius towards the front of the car, whereas yours seems to slightly higher here, and straight. This will have to be changed for it to fit. I had the center console fixed before putting in the radio with console, the speakers had to be bent outwards almost too much for comfort. My gear shift surround is tatty, so scratches didn‘t bother me much. But with new leather be really careful. If it will help I can trace the form of the console for you.

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the added information. Could you please take some measurements of your console? Maybe I can modify my console to fit?
Many thanks, Bob

Hi Martin,

A trace with measurements would be very helpful!

I took another profile picture this evening. What needs to be modified? Also, I think that the holes used to connect the console seem too high? Comments?

!

Bob,

I‘ve not been in garage for a few days, I‘ll get the tracing with measurements today.

Martin

Bob,

the side profile seems to be correct, with the last facing the cabin being strongly slanted up. I could not get a decent stencil cut in situ, but was able to make a few measurements.

In your picture / side view the radio facia is standing proud on top, that will have to go.

Check the height that I noted with being 59mm/ 2 1/3“.

Other than that mine looks the same, the speaker surround goes to very top edge of the console which compares with your picture. Actually, I think your console should fit with the a/c once you take off that top lip.

All in all it is a tight fit, make sure your radio body doesn‘t foul anywhere and you have very shallow speaker magnets. Your fastening hole looks fine.

Hi Martin,

Thank you very much!!!

With the top lip removed, what holds your radio in place?

Thanks,
Bob

Pushed in from the speaker side, my radio holds on and with an extra facia from the front held on with slim front nuts that eventually are covered by the knobs. The facia was too high, so I had to trim the top. If you look closely on the radio pic you can see that cutaway is not perfect. (Which perfectly fits the state of my car!) :slight_smile:

here is a picture of my frame back when I had it out. looks like the flange along the top should be folded flat and forward, if its the same flange.

Hi Bob,

I think this may be my issue. I will remove the radio this evening and bend this forward. Thanks! Bob

Bob,

Your console is identical to mine! Only difference is the top lip is bent down. I will bend this down.

I think Martin’s console is the same also, except the top section was removed.
Thanks,
Bob

Hi Martin,

My measurements are identical! Confirmed! I have the correct console, just need to bend down the front lip.
Thanks, Bob

Bob,

great! Glad it fits! I regret first jumping at the conclusion that is was not the right one without double checking first - my apalogies for the confusion.

Martin