72 steering rack question

I have installed a new rack. I put the special washers on either side of the stock bushings all ready came installed in rack. With the metal shield installed into my mainframe then put the whole unit in car. Now the issue i have is the power steering lines to the unit itself not the pump lines are within an 1/8 of an inch to the exhaust pipe. Looking at the rack it seems if i take out the special rubber washers on one side then the rack could move over a good quarter in giving me plenty of clearance on the fluid lines. Can anyone chime in on this would like some input on anyone’s expertise in solving this. Is this a common problem or have i put the washers in wrong…

Cheers

While I hate these sort of replies. … .“I don’t know the answer but…”

As mine has been laid up in refurb mode, while cleaning up and organizing stuff within engine bay I too noticed how ridiculously close that exhaust is to the steering rack, etc. as you say.

I noted a small sheet metal flange down there, cant recall now from memory where exactly attached … wonder if originally there was a heat shield there?

Regardless, I definitely intend to fab a heat shield for that shaft tower area near bulkhead in the future.

If it’s a “handed” problem I can’t help - RHD. Otherwise let me know and I will post a picture. Paul

It’s California AND cheers

One of my lines seems to be about 5/8" from the exhaust, with no shield. It is u-shaped where it enters the pinion and is dressed so that the u points down. If it were not, it could be closer to the exhaust. The other line is farther away.

The rack is supposed to be centred, as the inner tie rod ball joints are supposed to be precisely congruent with the wishbone pivots. This is so that the wheels don’t steer with up-and-down motion of the suspension. If you shifted the rack away from the exhaust, the car would tend to bump-steer although I can’t predict whether or not it would be perceptible.

The pinion “tower” is entirely too close to the exhaust on the LHD S1 and is known to fry its seals because of it. The late S2-S3 rack has its lines entering from the front, rather than wrapping around to the rear. This (“short tower”) rack was made necessary by the introduction of cats–besides shortening the tower, they probably had no choice but to plumb the lines in from the front. You can fit that rack if you wish–it’s a little faster and has more “feel.” IMHO.

1 Like

Robert thanks for the info will look more into it to see what the remedy will be.
Cheers

I’m just calling you D cause my note book won’t spell your name so sorry.I will check it out D heat shield there probably was. I put those special washers on either side of the bushing they have rubber. On one side.is this correct?

Cheers mate

Not to worry.

Been a while for me, but as I recall it was both sides…
Perhaps another will respond.

May message Mr. Wilkinson directly above, per his posts one can see he has a tremendous amount of experience.

I wish I head your problems instead of mine!