73 S3 2+2 Auto Tranny removal

What’s the purpose of the sawzall for transmission removal?

http://georgiajag.com/Documents/V12transmissionRemoval.html

Trim it here…cut some there…remove some over there…Again, put it up on a lift and give it a good study…you will figure it out…not complicated.

No thanks. I figure the engineers who designed the car had all that metal under there for a reason. I’m not about to take sawzall to the body in some bodge to attempt to save a few hours and depart from doing the job properly.

What I trim away is not structural or serves a cosmetic function.When I do a job, to make an improvement to the car, in the interest of functionality, or safety, it a proper job. You have absolutely no idea of what your talking about…you have not done it, nor studied the possible procedure, but your passing judgement on something of which you know nothing . But for you, indeed…you should continue to do things as the factory suggested 50 years ago. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly how many SWB E-types have you done this modification to?

Whatever. I’ll believe you and freely admit I’m in error when you provide some kind of proof of your contention that it can be done on a SWB car.

Why in God’s name would I want to work on somebody else’s ??? Also, why would I care if you admit your in error ?? Provide proof ?? Why,…Im not in the business. !!! Not selling anything here…just helping…which you clearly ate not. Freely admit your in error !! WOW ! Who cares !

Interesting, thanks Dick. Will the same procedure work with a Series I or II straight 6 and a 2+2?

Interesting. Thanks so much for sharing. Jim

This procedure only works on the V12 as the 6 cylinders do not have enough room to manipulate the transmission out without cutting and modifying the car, contrary to what has been stated on this forum.

I must say that I find these “take a sawzall to the body” and “cut four inches off the driveshaft” to remove the gearbox threads entertaining. Yes, I’ll stick with the manual, but no doubt it can be done by taking a sawzall to the body. Not sure you’d need a gearbox in what might be left though.

–Drew

1 Like

If you would, please review all previous posts, would you point out where it states “take a sawzall to the body” ??? Or “cut four inches off the driveshaft” ?? Review and you will read that once 4 inches are removed from driveshaft, a telescopic section is welded in its place to allow room to slide the transmission rearward, and facilitate its removal… Is your comment meant to be humorous, because it is not, indeed, it is counter-productive. You have never made , or attempted any such up-grade or modification to your car,but have no problem making un-informed , sophomoric comments on someone else’s tried and true procedure. How are you helping other forum members ?? Please, since you don’t have a clue on a particular subject, why not wait to post a comment when you do. Indeed, for your sake, stick with the manual. No reason to deviate from something written over 40 years ago. Oh wait…of course, if you do deviate from the manual to improve, make safer, or perhaps help with performance, well that would be called…oh yea…progress !!!

Could we please tone it down a bit, gentlemen?

Hi John, only V12 Series 3. That is what the original question was about. Dick