'73 XJ6 not reaching full RPM

Looking at that picture, Rob - plugs are absolutely filthy; the insulators are supposed to be clean. And probably the spark plug caps are dirty inside…:slight_smile:

I don’t say that it is the problem; but clean them up, or replace them - they do not radiate trust!!!

I doubt if the problem is related to carb needles - this is an engine that does not want to rev past some 3000 in neutral. Strangled, it may not reach its 4500+ rpms under load - but unloaded; no problem. Address the needles later. But do confirm that the throttle butterflies open fully when the pedal is floored…

And a fuel issue does not(!) explain the wildly oscillating vacuum gauge. As you have mechanical points; have you checked/changed the capacitor?

Listening to the ‘full throttle’ video; the engine is fighting against itself for some reason. Either ign does not advance as it should, too little or too much - or run out of juice. Have you actually checked that both the vacuum and centrifugal mechanisms are moving freely and fully? Have you replaced the rotor…?

On the other hand; if the PO overhauled the head - anything is possible. He may even have fitted single springs…

Pulling the head is a last resort - it should only be done when a specific fault has been found; requiring head removal…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

As Frank says, it appears to be strangled, which if the carb butterfiles and fuel supply checkout should be almost impossible on no load. I’d check the damper TDC accuracy to validate the timing checks and when all else fails I’d check the cam timing.

PS pm me yr PayPal as Inowe you for the fach and hold-down screws

Indeed a good point, Peter - certainly a stone to be turned…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Double ditto on the spark plugs. Awful. Might clean, But, in view of the situation, new ones to assure that is not only one of many issues.
to coi8n a phrase, a “fake cure”.

And a new track. Are the leads healthy??? Or cracked and leak spark run the engine at night. SA light show under the bonnet.

Valve float, very possible!!!

Still antsy about revs in N!!!

Carl

Awful? Trying can’t hurt, but these plugs will be no problem. Not that bad, especially.

Fix the known problem first…get the correct jets, THEN re-evaluate…especially addressing the whacky vacuum gauge behavior, which may well be a valve problem, unfortunately.

Rob, I had the same issue when my 1972 xj6 sat for a long time…
If you have the twin strombergs, did you go to the “T” where the fuel goes to each carb!
Mine was blocked to the back carb…
I cleaned out the “T” and the flow was perfect!
Pure restriction
Good luck
gtjoey1314

Thank you all, so very much. You’ve given me wisdom and inspiration.

I can’t work on the car for a few days, as family obligations take priority. I hope you’ll “stay with me”, when I work through the suggestions given when I return to the car.

Joe, I did check the fuel T and it’s good - this time. Thanks.

Peter, I sent a message, and thanks for your input.

For sure the butterflies are opening fully.

I’ll post soon,

Rob