73 XJ6 Washer Hose Path

List:

The windshield washer fluid tank on my 73 XJ6 is located ahead of the water/antifreeze storage tank on the top of the front fender on the exhaust system side of the engine. The small diameter black rubber hose leading away from the washer tank travels along the upper area of the fender. When it reaches the firewall, it goes through a hold centered above the brake booster. My question is, what is the path of this washer hose from the storage tank to the firewall. There don’t seem to be any retainers along the path. Right now, it simply lays on the fender.

Is this hose held in pace in any way?

Thanks
Lou

Not on my S11 but its had a few owners so I can’t say its original.

Robin:

Thanks. We’ll see what others say.

Lou

Lou, I’m not sure I understand. On my 72, the hose exits the washer tank and enters a grommet at that location so that it winds up below the fender, but above the wheel well (same location as the duct running from the headlight bezel, plus wires to the headlights). It than exits that space via a grommet near the booster as you describe. It’s then clipped to the firewall just beneath the scuttle area.

I replaced my washer tank with a Series 3 version, which contains a submerged pump. I think your pump is on the firewall? The hose I describe now goes directly to the washer jets, but that’s not important for your question.

If your hose exits the grommet near the booster, it must already be in the cavity below the fender that I mention–that’s why I’m confused. If you have your fender removed and you’re talking about the hose running above the wheel well–yes, IIRC it and the various wires just sit there and aren’t clipped, as they can’t go anywhere.

There are some black “particle board” pieces that cover the trunk (boot) sidewalls. One has some curves that should be flat. Has anyone found a way to flatten them?

Those same boards are held in place with tiny black plastic “buttons”. The buttons, which have a tail, are slightly larger than the holes they go through and the friction keeps them in place (I think).

Has anyone found a source for these

Thanks

Lou

The boards are probably made of hardura could you dampen them and lay them flat with a heavy weight to see if that straightens them out?
The buttons are fir trees you can buy a box of assorted ones from eBay;

I think this is the answer to your question: as shown in the photo, two bendable metal tabs on the chassis hold the washer reservoir hose as it exits and then passes through a grommet into the wheel well. As you can see, these tabs also hold a wiring harness. This is from a 1972 original condition XJ6.

Kriss Motors:

Thank you, a picture is worth a thousand words!

I see the green hose (mine is green also) leave the washer fluid storage tank and pass over the coolant overflow tank.

But I can’t see where it passes through the fender?

Thanks again for the photo.

By the way, is your car fern green?

Lou

Thanks for clarifying that. I think what confused me was that the covering on the water hose looks different after it emerges above the metal tab. I must check today to see if there’s an opening through the fender into the wheel well.

And further, I’m happy to say that this exercise is not about money. I really like the look of the larger lamp and would like to transfer the 7” unit to my 73 XJ6, which currently has the federalized 5” lamps.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Here is a better photo showing how the washer tube goes into a oval grommet on the side of the engine bay.

(BTW the original color was brown, but now being re-painted Porsche Tapis Blue - see http://krissmotors.com/XJ6 if you are interested)