73 XKE original upholstery/carpet color for Fern Grey exterior

Hello, new here. Working on “refreshing “ 73 XKE Roadster interior. Was parents car, new… was always told interior color was Biscuit. Now, trying to replace, and wanting to keep to original as possible, what I’ve read shows Fern Grey had Tan interior! Naturally, the interior has darkened but, in reading posts it sounds as though Tan was color of American football?! My interior was not that brown. All this to ask which company have you found to be closest to original in texture, (that strange Shar-pei coat like ) carpet, and color? And is there an interior color code number on car anywhere?
Thank you for any info !

A heritage certificate will answer the question as to what the original interior color was. Once you have that you can query the Jag interior suppliers for samples of that color to see what you like.

1 Like

Thank you for reply… what is heritage certificate and how do I obtain one?

Here you go…it will tell you basically the original serial numbers, color and port of entry. Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust

Oh great! Thank you so much!

EP, welcome. You will have many questions and this is the place to ask and learn. So don’t be reluctant. There are plenty of “parents” here eager to coach new and younger caretakers of these cars!

Agree that you should get the Heritage Certificate. From your reading, you see that certain interior colors were offered with certain exterior colors. But that is not fixed in stone, as special orders were honored for the right people with the money to play with. The Heritage Cert will tell all.

I think the story is that Light Tan in the early 60’s was a football like color but I think it morphed by the 70’s. When you get to the stage of looking for upholstery, get back to the forum. I’ll just say all suppliers are not created equal.

Finally, update your profile to show your car info. A city of residence is also helpful if you don’t mind. You never know who might be nearby.

Thank you,kindly! I’m working on the Heritage Certificate, now!

1 Like

Hello!
Well I have received the Jaguar Heritage Certificate (email version), verifying the interior of , Agatha, my Fern Grey, TAN XKE… not Biscuit as my Dad had always deemed!

Today, received the anxiously awaited color groupings from OSJI, only to see Cinnamon, Beige, Biscuit… no TAN, as requested. Will try again…

Is OSJI the recommended source to be closest to original in color/texture for interiors?

This car did not have what I think of as “carpet”, but a velour-like, spikey Shar-pei fur-like, covering on footwells, and back bench area, which I am reluctant to remove, if I cannot locate this “material”.

To those who have restored their XKEs, I’d welcome inputs on what you used or recommend?

Again, many thanks to any and all replies!

If there any chance of preserving your original interior I would go that route. Color matching to 50+ year old material is difficult.

Photos would be helpful to help you judge salvageability.

I used OSJI for my roadster interior last year - it was very nice. I’m not sure they have tan as they didn’t send a sample of it even though I asked. I just ordered a kit for my ‘71 2+2 from GB Classic Trim - haven’t received it yet though.

Thank you for reply.
I definitely would want to salvage any original parts, especially interior, I could. However, as you mentioned this is an almost 50yr old auto, and was treated as a daily driver for many years by my mother.
This was not a pampered, stored inside girl, sadly.

I do not feel salvaging the seat leather is much of an option, as seat bottoms have dry rotted stitching and leather has severely darkened and dried out, although seatbacks and head rests are intact, excepting foam. I suppose it is a personal matter of how “new and improved” to finish her.

As I mentioned, We’re not looking to be “show quality”, just refresh, if a little “leather conditioner and shampoo” would work, I would definitely go that route.

I believe, seeing your OSJI comment on “Tan”, that you are correct in stating there is no single “Tan”, in their offerings. Just a choice among the 3 tannish colors of Cinnamon, Beige, Biscuit. So, thank you for clearing that up!

Thank you kindly, to all who’ve replied.

PS. I am not very tech savvy, and could not get photo to post up.

Hi EP,
The above is the description of the original carpet pile called Flock and has not been available for many years. I believe that Black Flock Pile carpet is being made again, but that is the only colour available. All of the After Market Upholstery makers are supplying Wilton Wool for S3 cars, which looks nothing like the original carpet and about the only colors that come close to matching is Black, Dark Blue and some of the Reds; Cinnamon, Biscuit, Beige and Tan are a mile away.

Brent

I can also recommend GG Classic Trim. They are in the UK and seem to have a good grasp of things like what version of “tan” would have been appropriate for a given year and model of car. The proprieter is Graham Watkins. I added an international calling plan to my Verizon cellphone account and had several good conversations to dial in exactly what I needed. They of course will send out sample cards but I think a call first might narrow down things a bit.

In my case I was looking for Light Tan. Although I have only had good dealings with OSJI, I found that their available color pallet is not as extensive as GB Classic Trim.

If you snoop around a bit on your car, you will undoubtably find some trim pieces that are tucked away from the sunlight and thus will give you a better feel for what your tan looked like when new. For instance, around the bottom edge of the seats or in the boot area. The access panel for the fuel pump is probably a good bet also.

Probably not of much value to you but here is the box of light tan Items I received from GBClassis Trim.

1 Like

Figured out the posting of pics! Thanks to HOW to on forum!

Thank you for the pic of your Light Tan from GB!

You can see headrest compared with the 2 OSJI… Biscuit, in front, Cinnamon, behind…

Looking like Cinnamon is the closest, in leather comparing bottom of headrest where sun exposure was nil to limited. But also, leather darkens with age, so… there again, I guess my personal choice?!

Hi EP,
In your picture of the samples, the carpet example is what is supplied by all the After Market Kit suppliers and as you can see, is nothing like the original Flock Pile.

Brent.

EP, here is a picture of the sample card for light tan. You of course need to allow for the vargaries of cell phone cameras and computer monitors. Generally their is a lot of orange in this tan. If you want, I could drop you the card to look at, as long as you’ll return it.

@BrentKeats what do you think about the carpet in my sample?

Yes! Not a fan of changing it to mayerial that is so different. The original was “odd” and holds alot of appeal to me! I think I will keep as is… even though not very “pretty”… it is “original”!

Oh goodness! That does seem “orange”!
And thank you for your offer!

In comparing these OSJI samples with my interior, original does have orange cast to it!
I feel like my eyes are continually playing tricks on me . My mind’s eye thinks interior is one color, and all these comparisons do not quite work! And so surprisingly, the OSJI Cinnamon leather seems the closest, but needs a hint more orange tint.

We are going to try a few more sample options before deciding…but I’m thinking the decision may be to just “refresh” the seats, and leave the rest as is.

May post up another pic with samples next to door.

Thank you all, again for the inputs! Helpful!