83 xj6 turn signals help

I’m at a loss. I’ve gone through all the posts I could find. At first all the bulbs were blown when I purchased the vehicle. It hasn’t ran in 11 years. I’ve changed the bulbs, the hazard switch and the ignition switch with SNG Barrett branded products new and i still have no turn signals. I’m at a loss of what else to do at this point.

Have you replaced the flasher? Fairly common failure point.

When you try to use the turn signals does anything happen? Do the indicator lights on the dash come on?

What happens when you use the hazard flashers? Anything?

Cheers
DD

Also meant to mention I’ve changed the flasher relay as well. Fuses have been tested good as well. I’m not getting any flashes on the dash either. It doesn’t do anything. I can hit the high beam flasher and it clicks. But that’s it.

Have you checked the earth points?

For some reason the system is unpowered. Cody. While checking power at fuses; did you also check whether there is power on relay’s ‘49’ (light green/pink) - both with and without hazard engaged?

The system, hazard and indicators, is fed by two different fuses, and it would be odd for both to fail - but checking ‘49’ is a first step? If no power (use test lamp); pursue, from there, where power is lost…?

The stalk switch directs power to ‘right’ and ‘left’ bulbs and hazard does this to both sides - and bulbs are independently grounded. Relay ‘31’ (black) provides ground for the relay to make the ‘blinking’…

The high beam flashing relates to the light relay - and is an independent function, unrelated to the direction/hazard…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Maybe you connected something wrong on the hazard or ignition switch?
With the diagram bellow, check if you have +12v at all the ignition and power feed points including the fuses.
Do the same for the grounds.

I used this diagram for installing the hazard switch. The diagram above I couldn’t understand where the numbering system was on the diagram to install the switch. I will check the earth points.
The relays I used just your standard 4 prong relay from Autozone. Maybe that’s why?

If you replaced the flasher with a standard relay then, yes, that’s your problem. Or part of it, at least.

Also, I have a very foggy memory that replacement hazard switches need to be wired differently than the originals. I think the Charlie Nowlin diagram you posted (which is at least 20 years old) might mention something along those lines. But, even ignoring my vague memory, it would be easy to mix-up the hazard switch wires.

In any case, if you replaced a flasher with a realy, correcting that problem is your first (and easiest) step

Cheers
DD

Is there another place I can find a flasher relay on the car to put in its place before I buy one?

Cody,

There is only one Flasher Unit (DAC1731) in each car. It is different electrically than a relay.

Paul

The XJ6s3 flasher again…

1. Yeah, the XJ6s3 flasher is a rather unique part. There are a very few aftermarket replacements available from Jaguar parts vendors. Nothing from the auto store will work correctly.
  2. Make sure all the exterior and dash bulbs are incandescent and are in situ. If you wish to do LED conversion, do that later. The original circuit is design for incandescent and wants to have all bulbs present.
  3. Get a multimeter. The cheapest meter is far better than no meter at all. Test for power even it you don’t have the correct flasher yet. With ACC on and stalk in turn position, the light green-pink stripe wire on the flasher socket (pin #49) should measure +12V. Again, with ACC off and hazard on, the same wire should show +12V. An easy way to access pin #49 is attach a wire to a male QD terminal and insert that into the socket; then attach the multimeter to the wire. You must get power to pin #49 before doing any further troubleshooting.

Ron

1 Like

It sure is not a standard ‘on/off’ relay, Cody…

You implied that the system did not work when you got the car - which means that copying the connections may be a cause of the problem…?

Frank

I was able to find a junkyard with one in it yesterday. Snagged all the relays and fuses I could. Could anyone send a picture of their hazard switch wired up on the car? Let me rephrase what happened. The right turn signal worked for a bit when I bought the car. The front and rear left side did not work. I later found out that the bulbs front and rear were gone. This was after the hazard switch had broke its way apart. So I’m starting to think everything was fine before. I’ll be putting the original flasher relay in this weekend. I also got the reverse sensor switch on the brake pedal from the junk car. I lost rear brakes a while back too. I read that the swing arm brake sensor is the problem for that but the continuity was working great with it when I tested it. The problem was no continuity from the reverse sensor switch and I’m sure there’s some correlation. Can’t wait to try that this weekend also! If that fixes everything I’ll finally be able to get it registered and inspected and start driving it. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve managed to build this by myself. Yes it is bagged the proper way. Hopefully the enthusiast don’t rip me apart.

What reverse sensor switch on the brake pedal and what swing arm brake sensor? And what would a switch have to do with the rear brakes?
Good luck with the indicators, all goes through the hazard switch so that may fix it.

That may at least bring on some changes, Cody - making further actions more meaningful…

The is no electrics involved in actual braking - and there is no rear load sensor on these cars that can interfere with rear, or balanced braking…Unless you have installed such a devise…

Frank

Cody - I like the “BagJag” - the more we can get these cars on the road the better. White looks good on a Series 3. Do some tint, 7" outer lights… ah yes.

Ian

1 Like

It’s got ceramic tint all around it. I prefer to be able to see inside

Does the car have air bags or this is the ride height?

It’s on airbags. I don’t have a picture of the ride height right now.

The oem flasher relay fixed my problem! Everything works now!! Thanks everyone

3 Likes

Cody,
Thanks for posting back that the OEM relay fixed your turn signal problem. This added to the collective knowledge and hopefully your post will help someone else with a similar problem in the future.

Paul

1 Like