86 Master Cylinder R&R

Hi All,

I have removed the old master and I am about to install the new one but, I am noticing a rubber seal that fits between the master cylinder and the booster. It is toast so I can’t reuse it. Anyone know what that part number is or maybe what is a suitable replacement. I’m guessing its just a seal to protect the master and booster from moisture, etc. .

Thanks,
Vance

On my car the booster is exactly the same as used on GM cars of the same era, if that helps.

Ed Sowell

'76 XJ-S coupe, red

http://www.efsowell.us

Being the cheap skate that I am, I cut up my kids bicycle (spare) inner tube to form the gasket. Took masking tape to make a template on the back of the master cylinder then stuck the tape on the inner tube, and cut away. I used a leather punch to poke the holes for the bolts. folded in half and used really sharp scissors. to cut out the center hole - tidied it up with a razor blade. Wasn’t worried about brake fluid coming in contact with the rubber. my way of thinking, if brake fluid came in contact with the gasket, then the gasket is the least of your worries. (that’s because the master cyl is probably leaking…)

Hope this helps
Mark

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the part from Jagbits. Its about a $5.00 part plus shipping. I think its called a brake booster gasket JLM12081.

Scratch that. Gary at Jagbits tells me that is the wrong part number.