86 V12 Alternator upgrade alternatives

The alternator has arrived… But not the car
It is a Rollco ALT319 120Amp
Attached some pics

It’s called planning ahead…
Good luck!

1 Like

I once ordered a brand new car, scheduled to be delivered to the local dealer on some particular day. My intention was to immediately replace the wheels and tires, so I ordered a set of tires pre-mounted on alloy wheels from Tire Rack. Then when I went down to the dealer on the appointed day to get the car, I learned two things: First, the car showed up being driven by some goober, having just put a coupla hundred miles on it driving here from another dealer across the state. And second, it had the wrong wheels. It’s not as though I cared about the wheels; I was replacing them anyway, but I was curious why it had the wrong wheels. Apparently at that other dealership, they take the OEM wheels off and fit the car with aftermarket on the showroom floor, their way of gouging the customer for a few more bucks. Then when I ordered the car, they had to look around for the original wheels to put them back on, and picked the wrong set. Whatever, the local dealer took umbrage to either my attitude or the other dealer’s attitude and refused to sell me the car, said he’d order another car. I said never mind, went and bought a properly new, undriven car from a better dealer. But in the meantime I had a set of brand new tires and wheels for it taking up space in my garage.

That’s a good looking alternator. I’m thinking I should order one. Did you replace yours Aristides and installed in the same location, or where the air pump goes?

Thank you … I am hoping for good luck too.
First time buying a car unseen…

Ah… why not resell the extra set of wheels and tyres?

The alternator is not the only stuff I bought … i have a ton of parts arriving, but mostly essential parts that need to be replaced for peace of mind…

I try to follow this guide, courtesy of Grant from another forum… I prefer to have the parts on stand by as I won’t be able to get any locally…

XJS Post Purchase Worksheet.pdf (126.5 KB)

Same location Gary, the pulley was the same size as the original and it’s a direct fit. Only the tensioner needed a couple of washers.

That’s a nice and extensive write up.
Don’t need to replace everything but it’s a very good guide on what needs to be checked out.
I presume you have also downloaded Kirbert’s Book?

Yes, the Book was the first thing i was told to download…
Still going through… A little tough as i do not have the car and have to google for some pics on the net to get a better idea of what was described in the book…

If you need something specific ask and we can send you pics.

That’s an extensive write up for sure. I have to look and count if I have 17 grease nipple locations. I must have missed a few.
If that write up doesn’t scare anyone away from owning an XJ-S nothing will. Sounds like he had the self destruct yellow fan issue.
I amazed he said said he never raised his bonnet. I’m sure i fling my hood open every time time after I drive it. Less heat soak the better. Don’t wanna replace those fuel injector wiring harnesses (again) any sooner than I have to.
Makes me think we should a JL’s a top 10 or 20 hit list to new JL’s posters. (So they’re not overwhelmed) Once we welcome them on board, it could be # 1 download Kirby’s book, # 2 break out your wallet ( te he) # 3 I dunno , pull that radiator and sort out cooling issues # 4 sort out fuel injector lines and so on.
Then We can say go to the hit list rather than us repeating ourselves 2 M times
In retrospect it might take away some of the banter and communication of this forum.
Wasn’t it kind of exciting when you got your first
XJ-S and you found out there were people just as crazy as you who could help you sort the beast out.
Scrap my idea.

3 Likes

Try to get the European version if you can, it comes with pulley and is 120 amps.

All i could find in the USA was the 100amp version with no pulley or serpentine pulley. Found a pulley a wee bit bigger that fits.

1 Like

Yes I will… but I will try to google first
Thanks

On the contrary, I find that it is quite informative…
It gets me prepared for what is to come
It was actually set as a “sticky” in the other forum, along with a few others…
Your idea of having a JL’s hit list is a really good idea…
and downloading the Book is definitely #1
Wrt the heat in the engine bay, I read that the heat build up is usually in the V area of the engine… i was wondering if I could install a small electric fan (those use for cooling PCs) to blow the heat out will help… but will see if that’s is possible when I have the car with me

I got the exact same as Aristides recommended …

It is 120amp and came with the pulley

I think that’ll be the one I order. Just still thinking over the air pump plan and / or relocation of the alternator.

Is the wiring easy to fix

I have not fixed it yet, cos my car is still enroute to my country …
but it is supposed to be a direct fit according to @Aristides

1 Like

It’s been a long time so I don’t remember all the details…
I had to omit the back plastic cover though because it was interfering with the positive cable routeing.
Anyhow, nothing difficult.

1 Like

Is this becoming a moot conversation… the guy doesn’t have the car yet… the info on the alt is ok though.