87 jaguar xj6 series 3 broken electrical component

I am trying to determine what that valve or sensor is called. Located just under the air filter canister

I believe that is a valve for the charcoal canister. it has to do with emission and shouldn’t affect the running of the engine at all.

Janson,

Welcome to Jag-Lovers.
That component is a solenoid valve called the Purge Valve, the Jaguar part number DAC2617. The valve opens up for a short ehile when you start up the car to purge fuel fumes from your carbon canister, located at the front of the right wheel well. The carbon canister absorbs fuel fumes from the fuel tanks while the car is sitting and the fuel fumes get purged through this valve and burned in the cylinders when the engine is started. It is part of the Emissions Control system.

Paul

To be chemically correct, Paul - the carbon ‘ad(!)sorbs’ the fumes; fuel stays on the surface of the carbon molecules…:slight_smile:

If fuel is soaking into the carbon; the fuel cannot be purged - and the carbon may solidify over time, blocking proper tank venting…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thank you for all your info.

As a friendly suggestion, I would make it a priority to address apparent wiring issues.

That wiring wrapped in electrical tape with cheap crimped connector and bent/broken green wire.
Also seemingly unoriginal wiring at bottom right covered in electrical conduit…

These kinds of things are just begging for future problems. You won’t know where to begin when things begin dying on you.

I just couldn’t resist.
FWIW

Kind regards

1 Like

Someone went to town on the wiring. Didn’t do much as the bend in the left corner shows.
There is cloth tape that would make it look decent.
And from the fuel hoses it might be a good time to change them, with injection hose, and injection clamps. If these crack there is a good chance of fire.

David