90 XJ-S Headlight switch failure

Headlights will no longer dip or on occasion. I have replaced the large relay can twice but does not correct the problem. Original quest was to remove the can cover and clean the contacts. Worked a time or two then nothing. Ordered a new relay from Moss. Got wrong part. Ordered again. Similar but not internal same. The original solonoid clicks a nylon guide which changes the contacts. The new one does not have the same nylon part. It tries but does not finish the task. Ordered another from Rock Auto. Still not the same relay and will not work more than a couple of times. It seems that there was a red capacitor hanging from the original. Lost. It even seems that the arm on the steering wheel column does not feel right. I can not find the latter replacement anywhere. Thanks for any help.
Harry Simmons
3.5 liter Saloon and 90 XJ-S

On my '83, similar problems were due to the black ground wire breaking loose from the stalk switch. I simply reattached it to the outside surface of the stalk – behind the column cover so it wasn’t visible – and all was well again.

Thanks Kirby, I’ve had it all apart and no visible wiring problems. What do you think about the capacitor giving extra hump to the solenoid. It did have a red round 1 inch by 3/8 device hooked up.

Yeah, I remember that capacitor. Dunno what it did, though. Perhaps prevented you from hitting the switch 30 times when you try to hit it once.

… or was an effort to try to minimize arcing at the stalk switch?

Thanks guys. The red capacitor (?) was hanging by its short wires below the big relay can. I do not think it a spark suppressor for the steering column as it is on the relay itself. All of my schematics show a small square headlight relay on the left front fender (wing) where the large relay can is mounted. My car does not this small relay. I might have to hot wire the headlights through a relay in order to pass inspection this month. Hopefully, someone has an idea. Surely, Jag bought the switch on the steering column from GM, Ford or ?. I tried taking the switch off of an XJ6 at pull a part but not the same and required removing the steering wheel. wound up tearing up the switch. Jag must have installed the steering column controls first and then building the car around it.