93 facelift XJS

I am interested to know when the change over to complete facelift changes occurred. I was under the impression that they occurred during the 92 model year. I just purchased a facelift 93 that till has the inboard brakes

Stephen,
There were numerous changes in the XJS from 1992 to 1996 as the facelift design evolved. These included engines, brakes, bumpers, and a whole lot more. I think the rear brakes went from inboard to outboard in 1994/1995 but others who know for certain will have to chime in regarding a VIN breakin point.

Paul

The facelift was a large number of changes, unfortunately not the rear brakes. Bodywork was the most obvious, but many other things changed under the skin due to Ford ownership - gotta love those non-Lucas electrical connectors. There were further differences introduced down the line: outboard brakes, 6.0L V12, many other incremental changes. The outboard brakes were introduced at VIN 188105. I grabbed mine from a 1994 4.0L donor car.

1 Like

Yep and like i said before, mines 188097! Lol! Smh! I thought they changed when they went facelift, but found out when i went to look at my 93! Lol!

I also see that Jaguar installed front and rear X-braces on my 93. I have an 89 and 91 convertible and neither has the X-braces.

1 Like

Im kinda curious when they went to glass headlight lenses. Ive seen some that were glass and mine are plastic.

“Went to”? The XJ-S began life in 1975 with glass lens Cibies in Europe and pretty much everywhere except the USA, where they had glass lens sealed beams. Later Euro models switched to a newer design glass lens Cibies. Didn’t switch to plastic lenses until the facelift Carellos.

1 Like

Ok gotcha. I didn’t think about the glass ovals being European. I wasn’t sure if since mine is an earlier facelift, if they had changed to glass after a while

I feel sure the 1994 USA model cars would be the first year that had ALL the features of the facelift cars. This would include the bumpers and outboard brakes. I’m not sure when production would have started for the 1994 model year.

Richard

Both my 93 and 94 XJS have the plastic headlight lenses. The 93 convertible also has front and rear X-braces where my 89 and 91 convertibles do not.

1 Like

Please tell us about the difference experienced while driving.