94 XJ6 4.0 first oil change question

I have always tried to pre-fill my oil filters when doing an oil change, but with the filter angle combined with the fact the filter is directly above the suspension cradle, it’s not really possible. I thought I would just pull the coil wire so I can crank it over till the gauge shows pressure, but figured I’d run it by those who know these cars- any danger of damaging the electronic ignition?

I used to half fill and then crank the engine but immediately shut off when it fired a couple of those and the oil light extinguished
YMMV

I never bothered. 120,000 kms later, many oil and filter swaps, car no worse for wear. Only Wix filters and Castrol GTX 20/50 though.

Robert …

When you say the “first oil change” I assume you mean YOUR first oil change with this car and not the first oil change with a non-running or engine rebuild. MAJOR DIFFERENCE.

If you’re just doing a routine oil changing of a running engine all of the internals are already sufficiently coated with oil so no need to worry about any metal-on-metal wear. If however the engine hasn’t been running for some time then some pre-prep is in order.

P.S. Larry I believe you’re right on with your observations !!! I also only use Wix filters and Castrol 20/50.

Thanks, all. yep, MY first oil change (on an XJ6).