94 XJS stumble issue not yet solved

I’ve done a thorough 50,000 service. I’ve replace all the bushings in the IRS and steering rack and upper front shocks. My car had sat for some time with no real maintenance. I believe that the first fuel filter I replaced was the original as were the belts and hoses. The biggest problem is that I can’t find anyone that has equipment to do diagnostics on it. I figure a 26 year old car should have many of theses items replaced anyway.

It’s not just Jags. Once most cars get old, the regular service interval thing doesn’t matter so much. Sure, you need to keep an eye on things, and a yearly health check - often mandated by your local government - is the best form of defence for bushings, bearings, exhaust components, etc. But some things deteriorate in different ways - time, milage, usage. Do you really need to change the oil every 12 months if you are doing < 2,000 miles a year? Why has that switch stopped working, I’ve hardly ever used it?

I’ve found that driving the car regularly, even if for just a short distance, will tell you what needs attention, and also help stop the breakage of things through lack of use. Drive it once a week, play with all the switches, listen to the noises when accelerating and breaking, feel the way the steering reacts when driving hard through a long sweeping bend. Also, enjoy it. It’s why we’re here.

2 Likes

Good advice indeed !

The offending article. The blue rubber seal that mates the fuel pump to the module lid was totally boned, and largely disengaged when I disassembled everything. This explains the low fuel pressure and poor performance. The pump was indeed replaced for the previous owner, but the criminals who did the work failed to do anything about this seal. That may be because it’s impossible to source and a new module is $900 if you can find one…

Solution? I shaved the degraded rubber away and built the seal back up with marine epoxy before shoving the part back into the plastic cap and clamping it in place to cure. I will do a gasoline soak test to ensure it holds together before reinstalling.

If all else fails I will rig up a JEGS Racing universal pump to draw directly through a pickup screen in the tank.

1 Like

By the way, removing the tank to access the pump on later XJS’ is a right bastard of a job. I lost count of how many fasteners and tools are involved, but it is faintly ludicrous. I’ll try to keep track on reassembly.

Gavin, dealt with a similar problem in my 93 4.0l. canister was actually broken where that seal sits. Tried glue and sealers. No Luck. Finally found a canister, pump, 2 lines and tank top cap and gasket. on E-bay for $80. I removed the tank around 5 times and it was a PIA each time. You may have to make that seal. I haven’t looked for one but should you locate a source PLEASE post it on the forum for others.

Man, I would so ditch this setup and install an external pump before I did that.