95 AJ16 4.ltr facelift

Hi. I am wondering if anyone knows what the correct or best idle/tickover engine speed should be for my 4ltr straight 6 AJ16 when at running temperature.
Cheers.
Richard.

From the service manual:

Cold in neutral - can be up to 900rpm at -20C
Hot in neutral - 700rpm
Cold in drive - 780rpm
Hot in drive - 580rpm

Hi Veekay. Nice to hear from you and thanks for your reply.
My car runs at 700 hot in Park which I’m assuming is the same as Neutral.
Im also assuming that the Hot and Cold in Drive is a foot on brake figure. I havent checked those figures but will do now.
Many thanks.
Richard.

Hot engine means the engine has warmed up, cold means you just started it this morning.

Pop the car in neutral with the foot on the brake and let the needle settle to get a good reading after returning from a drive.

Isnt this xjs site…or is this a model that is similar or are xjs mechanics better than the others and ask questions here…lol

There were quite a few versions of the XJS produced over its years in production from 75 to 96 using a tremendous variety of engine versions.
The 95 4ltr AJ16 engined facelift (along with a few 6ltr V12’s produced over the same period) was the final version.
I omitted to use the letters XJS in my post with this being the XJS site but the rest of the title was necessary in order to get the correct information I needed about my paricular car.
However you are probably quite correct when you suggest that XJS mechanics are better than the others. Mainly because they have to be! Lol.

1 Like