95 Jag XJS Convert

Boot locked with ineffective keys and remote. Boot release lever very loose.

Dave,
Welcome to Jag-Lovers!
I have read posts on Jag-Lovers where members with inoperative boot locks have drilled a small hole behind where the license plate is mounted to gain access to the boot lock mechanism and open the boot lid. If you search the archives for “boot lock” or “trunk lock” I am certain that you will find what others have posted before.
We have owed our 1990 XJ-S convertible for 17 years and I have not experienced this kind of boot lock problem before, so I have no personal experience with trying to free up a problem boot lid.
Have you owned this car a while and this problem just occurred, or did you recently acquire this car and you are trying to sort it out? The reason I ask is I am wondering if you are dealing with a problem caused by a prior owner or their shop.

Paul

PAUL, HAVE OWNED FOR FEW YEARS. LOVE THE STYLE AND RIDE. HAD HANDS FULL OF GRICERIES AND SHUT BOOT A LIL HARDER THAN NORMAL. JUST DINT SOUND RIGHT. CHECKED AND BOTH MY KEY AND THE REMOTE WERE USELESS. THE LATCH WAS VERY LOOSE FEELING,LIKE ATTACHED TO NOTHING, SO I SURMISE ONE OF THE LINKS BROKE…THEY MENTION A PLASTIC ONE. I LIVE IN A SMALL TOWN, 300 MILES AWAY FROM MINNEAPOLIS, AND A LOCAL MECHANIC WHO USED TO WORK FOR JAGUAR RECENTLY DIED UNFORTUNATELY. WITH MYSELF AT 83 AND NOT TOO MECHANICALLY INCLINED, WELL, HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.[quote=“Dave_Powell, post:1, topic:429284, full:true”]
Boot locked with ineffective keys and remote. Boot release lever very loose.
[/quote]

Drill the hole. It gets covered by the license plate.

You can also remove the license plate and find out if the previous owner already did it for you… it was there when I had to do mine.

1 Like