97 xj6L HELP right signal works then doesn't!

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and looking for some help … I have a right hand signal that starts out working each day then after a few uses it stops working, clicks fast and I also checked that the hazard lights won’t work when this happens as well. Somewhere online I found a comment that suggested that the Hazard Flasher Relay be replaced, to start with this.

I reached out to 2 local Jag dealers who both said they cannot find such a part and wonder if it is part of an assembly? They have asked me to obtain a part number even… yikes!

So I am reaching out to see if anyone happens to know if such a part exists or if anyone has had this issue and what their solution was… any advice or direction would be most appreciated. I learned very quickly that motorists no longer recognize the hand signals!! MUCH GRATITUDE!!

If it’s like the earlier cars (like my 94 XJ40) there’s is no flasher unit, the turn signals are controlled by the ECU.
If you have an issue it could be that the big plug to the ECU is corroded or a bit oxidized on one or two terminals …that condition can often be corrected by “exercising” the connection, i.e. unplugging and replugging …other than that, I’d suspect dirty contacts in the switch on the steering column …and of course you might want to have a look at the respective fuse and clean that up too.

BTW I’m supposing that you are referring to ALL the RH signals on the car …if it’s just one, say front or rear then I’d suspect a bad ground or corroded socket at the bulb housing …usually, that’ll trigger the BFM though …

good luck with it and it sounds like your dealer parts dept is … well, best left unsaid, eh? :slight_smile:

The turn signals are controlled by the “Lamp Control Module” located behind the battery in the trunk (or the boot if you live over there!). (Do not confuse the “Lamp Control Module” with the “Lighting Control Modules”!) There are almost certainly some relays in that module, but they are not shown as being replaceable in the documentation.

There are two variations of the lamp control module- changed at a VIN number, so be careful to get the same number as the one in your car. The part number for your module is likely LXF2245 and is reportedly not compatible with a LNA2245.

As Larry pointed out, it is quite likely that your problem is either a common ground connector or a bad connector in a harness and is not actually the module. Any automotive electrician should be able to figure that out. If you have a test lamp and/or meter and want to try diagnosing it yourself, just check back and we can go through it with you.

HI Larry, thank you so very much for this information… I am frustrated with having to find parts and info for the car and I feel it’s because a typical mechanic doesn’t have the time (or I am made to feel that) to look into these things. thank goodness there is this kind of resource. I will have the mechanic look into your suggestions… I will let you know too!

Awesome information and I thank you very much. I would bet that with your info and Larry’s info I will be close to solving this … thank you very much. I will let you know how it goes… I have learned so much about this car over the last 5 years. If we didn’t have the internet it would be impossible to own an older, foreign car!!! Thanks again!

Thank you very much… I am going to check back with you after bringing this info to my mechanic… this explains why at least that the jag dealer parts guy couldn’t find a hazard flasher relay!!!

There is a lot of iformation on this Website compiled by a Jag Owner & Enthusiast it will help you access a tremendous ammount of information icluding circuit diagrams for most XJ Models and years:

http://www.jagrepair.com/

Thank you Neil! very helpful.