A bit off topic, but engine related

After having our 400 Cubic inch, fire breathing, Pontiac GTO engine completely rebuilt; it is finally going to the test dyno in Greeley Colorado. We spun one of the crank bearings and most of the others were razor thin. If any one would like to join me in this event, message me off list and we can meet up at Greeley Automotive Machine later this week. We are taking bets on Flywheel horsepower. I’m hoping for 325 and the builder thinks optimistically for 375 with his close tolerances and balance skills.

Gerard
Love, Colorado

How much off of stock was the rebuild?

Build was right to stock with about 9.4 to one compression and exacting tolerances that were never achieved back in the day of mass produced production engines. I am running Petronix and everything is milled and honed sweet and pretty.

Gerard

Are you intending to make a little movie Gerard? Paul

Put me down as 325, uncorrected.

Dyno runs are a little scary! A friend of mine built a 400+ CI blown V12 that made 600+ @ 6200 on 6lbs boost and as the rpm’s went over 6000 I was glad there was bullet proof? glass between us an the engine!

Agreed: there’s a reason they’re called “explosion cells!”

I always stood well back of my dyno, and NEVER to the side.

I intend to use two GoPro type camera and use the video feature on the Cannon. Should make for quite a short video when I get it all edited.

Gerard

Let us hope not TOO short…:flushed:

Well, you’ll be here holding one of the cameras right?

G

Maaaaybe… where in Greeality?

Back from the Dyno and got some good results. A whooping 418 foot pounds of torque and 324 horsepower in the corrected format. Mind you that these huge torque numbers kick in a 2000 rpm which means the tires might do a bit of spinning and squealing! I have a video but I need to edit out the huge gaps between the bursts to 5000 rpm dyno pulls.

Gerard

1 Like

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/NrzjXZ7whTI

Be a bit patient as there are two pulls.

Gerard

That was pretty cool!

Loud also, ran it up to 5000 rpm!