A/C evaporator replacement

Hi gents still here. XJS A/C cooling very very well in 100 degree weather. I will look at this thread later today and respond as I see my photos and my Name was summoned.

Here is the correct evaporator for the old expansion valve style. One photo is from Walmart online $184.00 - out of stock; second photo from Amazon UK, did not find price or stock status - both alleged to fit 1987 - 1992 XJS’s &XJRS (JLM001197?Evaporator 1 Evaporator 2 ). Guess the '93’s are a mystery requiring a look at the firewall to see what you have - not sure when Jaguar switched over to the newer style modular expansion valve.

So this is still a Delanair Mk III, just the older expansion valve style? Does anyone have a pic of what the Delanair Mk II evap looks like? I guess it still doesn’t look like that EBay evap because those fittings are nowhere near right. That thing’s gotta fit a Honda or something.

You think 93 ts a mystery how about early 94s? They’re supposedly R134 according to earlier entries here yet my 94 is R12.

Mine, #190982 MY94 has R134a and has the later expansion valve.

I am still working on it. My garage gets hot, and SWMBO has a list of chores for me.

Anyway, I am at the point of removing the steering column. None of my ROMs says how to remove it. My problem is that there are two studs from the mounting bracket at the base of the column and I can’t lower the column enough to clear them so I can pull the column out.

My car is a 94 face lift.My ROM shows me the parts (fiche 2, F08), but no instructions.

Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks.

My 93 188097 has a r134 sticker but the old r12 fittings. Drrrrrr

Believe the fittings not the sticker. Yours will be an R12 original system.

Not necessarily. When you do an R12-R134 conversion, there are adapters you screw onto the R12 fittings. These are supposed to be permanent, but they can be removed.

Is the sticker factory or was it put on later? If later, believe the sticker,.

My VIN is much later than Jason’s and it is definitely R12.

There is much misinformation out there regarding 93 94 95 and 96 model years.

I made my high side fitting removable just because the hood would hit it. There were other solutions, but that was the easiest for me. But I installed the low side fitting permanently to try to make it clear the system had been converted to R-134a.

I suppose there’s a lesson here. If the car came with R-134a it should be pretty clear from the fittings. If it’s been converted, though, it’s easy to end up confusing. I guess not only should a label or sticker be applied that indicates that it’s R-134a, it also needs to be clear that it was converted, didn’t come with R-134a originally. Especially if both adapter fittings get removed.

1 Like

Very well summed up as usual.

xMBman Thanks for the comment.

BTW, what is you vin?

If a shop does the conversion, by law, they have to put on a sticker. If it was done by an individual, they still are supposed to put on a sticker,but who knows.

My VIN ends 188666 & I’ve owned the car for nearly 15 years. The factory stickers say R12 but based on previously replacing the compressor (shipped by a guy in Indiana to my father-in-law’s address in FL), I’m sure it was on R134 even prior to my ownership as the a/c fittings look like they have adaptors on them.

Andy.

1 Like

So, ya took the leap?

Glad to hear it’s working.

Nowhere near it now but I know it is 189 maybe 5 something.

Yep, those are R-134a adapters – and the sorry plastic caps that come with them. Those caps won’t hold pressure, the fittings rely on the Schrader valves as the primary closure – as opposed to the original R-12 fittings where the Schrader valves just held the charge until you could get the hard cap screwed on. That didn’t work for me, the Schraders always seemed to leak, so I ditched that sorry plastic cap and screwed a metal plug into the hole with a washer and an O-ring to create a reliable seal.

1 Like

Yes, I took the dive. Not sure how it is working, see my above post about the steering column.
You want to come to Chicago and help?

Oh, geez–burrrrrp–Ill be out of town, that week/month/period…:grimacing:

Think I found the solution. Haven’t tried it yer, but it looks right.

Fiche F08 shows my steering column. Compare it to the one in Fiche F07. The support nearest the steering wheel is different. The base of the columns are the same, with a piece welded on to attach to the body. Anyway, in Fiche 07 there are two studs, (#9 in the key). If I am correct, I can pull those studs and the column hopefully will come out.