A little part of my collection

Hi Tony,

Cool. I believe me (JAG-66) and you (lowdrag) used to chat on an old car forum when you were creating the 1952 Le Mans Kettle car (droop snoop) but lost contact at some point.

Here are some of mine.

Cheers!

Oh, I forgot to include this all important supplement for the MKV Operating & Maintenance Handbook. :slight_smile: It corrects among other things the 2 1/2 Litre volume from 2.633 litres to 2.663 litres and the revs for a 2 1/2 Litre in top gear at 90 mph (144km/h) from 4,940 to 5,040!

Anyone recently taken their pushrod engine up to or above 5,000 rpm or 90+ mph??? :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like

Hello Pekka, you may wish to contact David “goodoldgrandad” to see if he would benefit from scanned images of your 1 1/2 instruction book. That rare item may have useful information for him as a 1 1/2 owner.

I’ve already got an original 1.5 litre
Instruction Book and Service Manual thanks. Whilst they do offer some good information they don’t address much in-depth hands-on workshop information and experience that forum knowledge on here can provide👍

Oh, and this is the part I am particularly fond of: the leather samples and paint/trim charts. The leather booklets are from early 1950’s and about 1961/1962. Having enough charts with paint and leather samples has enabled me to cross reference / compare most colours. 1946-1970 is easy, the early 70’s is much harder as I have no Connolly codes for some leather colours, like Cerise, Dark Olive, Moss Green, Terracotta, Antelope, French Blue, or Russet (Red) etc.

Cheers!

Hi,

Yes, that’s pretty much true. I only have an incomplete 1938 4-cyl engine (well it started as a block only, but now I have oil sump, cam cover, cylinder head, complete rocker shaft, etc.) but I have been reading those books with great intetrest, :slight_smile:

It does include some historical interesting things though, like the European distributors just before WW2, in places like Estonia, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Austria, Germany, Norway, Portugal and “Roumania” (interesting spelling , huh?) and Yugoslavia.

Cheers!

FWIW in the upper pic you have 1970’s (and late 1960’s) “Biscuit” to the left and 1970’s “Tan” also called “County Tan” (in ca. 1975-1978 and later perhaps) to the right.

Right next to the sample of “County Tan” (and not “Country Tan”) are the lighter Connolly VM.3104 that Jaguar called “Light Tan” in the 1960’s and itb was very common back then, now pretty much extinct on E-types at least. (But seen often in 1960’s Ferraris, FWIW Ferrari called it " Zucca", “Arancio” and “Marrone” depending on vintage.)

Below to that sample is the Connolly VM.3280 which is what Jaguar used a lot in the 1950’s and 1960’s again not seen often in XK’s or E-types anymore.

Why? Because Jaguar called it “Tan” or earlier it was available in the same tone, but with a different grain called “Pigskin Grain Tan” and thus it was sometimes called “Pigskin”. It was quite common on MKV’s and I believe also on MKIV’s and even XK120’s, especially on Black cars. Now you almost never see it anywhere on restored cars, because it’s usually susbstituted with “Biscuit”, “Cinnamon” or “Beige” because that is what many people think “Tan” should look like. Stupid, huh?

I have no idea what the Connolly codes were in the late 1970’s and early 1980’s for leather colours like “Buckskin” and “Barley” although they appear somewhat similar to these light brown tones, like “Light Tan”, “Biscuit” and “County Tan”.

Not a topic for this forum really, but many of these Connolly colours were used from the mid 1930’s all the way to the mid 1990’s!

Connolly VM.3244 for instance, that was used in a few very special Ferraris too (like a 1961 400 SA #2631SA) is what my MKV DHC #647194 had from the factory and what the second, lower pic shows in comparison to a 1970’s chart with leather samples.

The JHT certificate for #647194 says “blue”. For years I thought it must have been dark blue, nope! It’s what most people (and Ferrari) call grey, “grigio” in Italian.

But Jaguar called it “Pale Blue” in the brochures 1946-1952.
Except for the XK120 in which they called it “Light Blue” when it was used together with “Dark Blue” (Connolly VM.3197) in the duo-tone interiors called “Light & Dark Blue”.

In some XK120 FHC’s it was called “Pale Blue” just like in the MKV Saloons and Drophead coupés.

Then from 1952 to at least 1968 Jaguar called it “Light Blue” although again most people would think it’s grey. But Jaguar’s “Grey” was a lighter tone, Connolly VM.3230.

From 1968 all the way to 1992 Jaguar called Connolly VM.3244 “Blue / Grey” as you can see in the chart, as it was one of the most common leather colours for the Daimler DS420 Limousine (in many cases only for the driver, the passenger compartment could have another colour, or many of them had fawn cloth interiors for the passengers).

The “Dark Blue” leather Jaguar had from ca. 1952 to at least 1978, possibly later (called now unfashionably “Isis Blue” in 1977 onwards) is/was Connolly VM.3197 which is what I have in my XJ6C #2J50041DN. Again most people think it’s black. I have seen and heard the same thing with some E-type FHC’s that have a “Dark Blue” interior, people say “oh, it’s black”. “No it isn’t!”. :smiley:

Cheers!